Changing hammers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a fairly nice S&W Model 681 that I've been polishing up. The only problem I have with the gun is the fact that it has a bobbed hammer. I'm wondering how much trouble it is to replace the hammer or how much it might cost.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i hope you are loving that gun like i did. I had the hammer bobbed so i can carry appendix without it snagging shirt on draw and so it wouldn't dig into me. Go on gunbroker and type in hammers and L frame. Make sure you get a hammer that has the firing pin connected. I have seen the hammers for sale as low as $20 and as high as $80. Then use Mike the gunsmith at 2A shooting center. It is something you could do yourself as well but i like the idea of an expert doing it and he can polish it down for best fit if needed.

I bet that polished up nice. One of the things i love about stainless steel revolvers.

Enjoy the gun

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just went on gunbroker and found only 2 hammers that would work for your gun when i typed in "L frame hammer" one was 20 dollars and would work. I then typed in "L frame" and then selected small gun parts on the side bar and found many hammers that would work great. I never worry about bobbing the revolvers because i always know i can just replace the hammer. Anything that shows to work on a 686 will work. It is the same gun different sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom