I'm a MOMMA!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where I come from, I look at those bunnies and think yummy. Many look at those Easter bunnies and say aww cutie.
I had many meals as a child out of the "pet" bunny rabbits.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mommy jumps up and runs over and gets on the nest and makes this really mean growling sound every time I reach over to her nest. I'm just glad they didn't freeze last night -- first time mom and all ...

If you have enough space slip a piece of cardboard between the nest opening and the rest of the cage so you can do your checks or whatever else you want to do. If there isn't enough space you can clip some wire at the top of the cage to make enough room for something else. I would probably use a piece of 1/4 plywood if I was prepared ahead of time.

Used to have a bunch of fairly large birds and most of the chicks were hand fed. The conures were really bad for going after your hands if you reached in and the cockatoo's could be as well. Not to mention that one of the year old umbrella cockatoo's was a cannibal, loved chicken legs and would literally split the bone with his beak. Made you think twice about reaching in the cage to do a health check while the parents had access to the box.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So 12 weeks until i get to help (and by help I mean me making a mess of things) kill and clean them?

This is true. BTW, I'm fixing to breed the other three does this weekend. If you want me to pay you in meat for the help, I'd be glad to have it when this batch fattens up ... Oh ... and in case you didn't know ... rabbit meat is good for dogs with "sensitive" tummies ...

I found a rabbit killing station built out of a blue barrel and some aluminum tubing. I want to try and get one built by then, but if I don't we'll just do it the old fashioned way ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have enough space slip a piece of cardboard between the nest opening and the rest of the cage so you can do your checks or whatever else you want to do. If there isn't enough space you can clip some wire at the top of the cage to make enough room for something else. I would probably use a piece of 1/4 plywood if I was prepared ahead of time.

Used to have a bunch of fairly large birds and most of the chicks were hand fed. The conures were really bad for going after your hands if you reached in and the cockatoo's could be as well. Not to mention that one of the year old umbrella cockatoo's was a cannibal, loved chicken legs and would literally split the bone with his beak. Made you think twice about reaching in the cage to do a health check while the parents had access to the box.

She ain't having none of it. but I think we've finally come to an "arrangement" LOL ... Plus she moved them to another nest after the first time I checked them. Thankfully her new nest is closer to the middle of the cage and I can see what I need to see without even messing with them ...

My dad raised big birds ... He had a pair of breeding Blue Macaws. They were all beautiful birds ... but ... I H.A.T.E. birds ... :lookaroun :rotflmao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom