Getting home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember if this has been discussed and my search isn't working so, here goes...

This is something I think about fairly frequently because is directly applies to me. I live in a rural community and commute 50 miles everyday to OKC. I work in the general vicinity of the capital. So, what would be the best course of action for me to get home if some sort of civil unrest/riot were to occur. I figure I am in an area that would have a higher chance of his happening. So, let's assume I have an appropriate "get home" bag equipped with two days worth of essentials. What are your thoughts on how to proceed? Wait it out in hopes that it settles soon? Try to bail out and get home? Also, I don't drive a cool "mad max" type vehicle, so there will be no smashing through stuff to get home. Honda civics don't work well in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say bolt after you've observed the situation and have found a clear opening. Stick to back roads and non populated areas. Slow is smooth. If ya haveta walk dont walk on the street stay in the ditches or tree lines perferably. Walk AROUND cities and towns. Packin heat? Keep it hidden till absolutely needed. If you have a back pack i might recommend throwing a shirt over it. People are gonna want what you have wether you give it to em or not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what you've said, but my scenario is a little more specific. Where I work is in a populated area. Basically, I'm at Lincoln and ne 10th. Home is 50 miles ne. My backpack is camo. Nobody can see it! I hadn't thought about covering the pack. Not a bad idea. In my situation, I figure I need to travel at least 10 miles to get out of the danger zone. Would traveling at night be a better option?

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definetly. One thing you can do, if you can hide until dark, is sit in a dark room with atleast one eye closed. The longer yoy sit the better. Then when you enter into the night your eyes will be mostly adjusted giving you a sense of "night vision". Give ya maybe a little advantage to dodging predators.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would look a little out of place near the capitol, but a good mule would be optimum. They can carry large amounts of weight. They can be transportation and they will be able to eat native vegetation.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, GC and I had only been married a month when 9-11 happened. I was hell and gone before the second plane went through the other side of the tower. Watch security and OHP around your building. If they are calling family, fill out your leave slip and LEAVE.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
I agree with what you've said, but my scenario is a little more specific. Where I work is in a populated area. Basically, I'm at Lincoln and ne 10th. Home is 50 miles ne. My backpack is camo. Nobody can see it! I hadn't thought about covering the pack. Not a bad idea. In my situation, I figure I need to travel at least 10 miles to get out of the danger zone. Would traveling at night be a better option?

Yeah, you're not gonna be out of deep do-do until you're about 10th and Sooner Road! Traveling at night is a viable option - especially in the summer - but I would get away from Lincoln as quickly as possible. I would suspect the area from 10th to 23rd and Santa Fe to Eastern will quickly become downtown Beirut in a SHTF scenario. And a 'white-bread' with a backpack would become an immediate target.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely think it is a good idea to watch law enforcement. Just not many around here. We have campus police, but I rarely see them. I do keep a good watch on the news though so maybe I could beat the rush. I think the huge danger of getting in the car would be getting stuck in a traffic jam. I can definitely see times where it might be better to stay put.

I was thinking that sooner road would probably be the minimum distance to get out. If I could make it to the river I would follow that, but there is a lot of terrain between here and there. Maybe I could sneak up to the 45th infantry museum and hotwire a tank.

Latest posts

Top Bottom