Drivers’ ‘zombie’ traffic tickets rise up decades later

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drivers across New York state are being slapped with fines for decades-old traffic citations and are in danger of losing their licenses. The ‘zombie’ traffic tickets rise back up after years because, as WIVB News 4 reports, there is no time limit for state officials to collect the fines.

While some cases are tickets that were never paid, other motorists say that the citation fines were taken care of years ago when they were originally issued. WIVB spoke with Paul Fox Jr., a truck driver who recently received three letters from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and says he paid all fines decades ago. The notices indicated that he had 30 days to pay the fines on two tickets he received in March 1994. “One letter was for suspension of my license next month,” said Fox. “They suspend my license, I lose my job. Now I can’t find a job, I’m collecting unemployment. I got to collect food stamps, and that’s taxpayers’ money out of their pockets to support me.”

Fox received the tickets in 1994 in Lackawanna for driving an unregistered car and a seat belt violation. The New York state man maintains that he registered his vehicle and paid all fines. He said that he was required to do so in order to get his car back from the tow yard.

Proving decades-old cases like Mr. Fox’s may be hard, according to Williamsville, New York attorney Steve Boyd. “The very bank the check may have been written on may not exist anymore,” explained Boyd. “Most people are supposed to keep records for seven years, so if you’re talking 20 years, it’s going to be really difficult for anyone to prove it.” Boyd added, “The statute of limitations only applies to issuing the ticket. Once you receive the ticket, and are found guilty, you have to pay the consequences, no matter how long it takes.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...-tickets-rise-up-decades-later-194111708.html

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ding ding ding! Some of you will remember the issue I had last week with Colorado and a 20-year old wreck where the state claimed I didn't have insurance, when in fact, I did. It was a pain in the buttocal region.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ding ding ding! Some of you will remember the issue I had last week with Colorado and a 20-year old wreck where the state claimed I didn't have insurance, when in fact, I did. It was a pain in the buttocal region.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about... did you get any resolution?

Sucks that it's up to us to try to prove something from that long ago. One more reason I try to use my debit card for everything I can (as credit, not using my PIN number) these days... I'm HOPING these records will stay accessible for many years to come.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I had it fixed within 24 hours. It took a lot of wrangling, searching and several hours worth of phone calls, mostly waiting on hold. Oklahoma was of absolutely ZERO help, but because I found a copy of my dad's insurance in his suburban (the man kept everything), I was able to get it fixed. Had I not had that, I would have had to pay for it. It was literally a made up infraction, the police report didn't contain my insurance details, so the DMV flagged me as not having insurance. The cops are not even required to write that stuff on the police report!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my new license yesterday. The ***** of it is, this time, the girl didn't even check the national system! I could have just gone in another day!

Oy vey!

Well, I'm glad you got it worked out. I had to pay a ticket (a legit one for an inspection sticker) in Arkansas that was like... 15+ years old, I think. It was from when I was in college and I forgot about it or ignored it or something, who knows. Anyways, one of my friends was a cop and called me up and told me there was a bench warrant out for me. I was like, "What?!?!?!?!" So, when I called them up, they told me, yes, when I arrived to pay it, I would be placed under arrest "temporarily" until they processed the ticket. That it shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Uhhhhh.... no thanks. So I got the exact amount and mailed it to them. They sent me a receipt which I carried around in my wallet for at least 5 years after that, just in case I got pulled over and their system didn't show that I had paid that ticket.

<edit> Bwahahaha! Since I just mentioned that, I wondered if I still needed that receipt... I took it out of my wallet because I didn't have alot of room. Now I've cleared my wallet some and I looked right in front of me on the desk and there's that receipt!

That ****'s going back in my wallet again! ;)

It was $149.25, paid 09/15/2008, on a ticket from 1993. I'm keeping this receipt with me again. lol

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oy vey!

Well, I'm glad you got it worked out. I had to pay a ticket (a legit one for an inspection sticker) in Arkansas that was like... 15+ years old, I think. It was from when I was in college and I forgot about it or ignored it or something, who knows. Anyways, one of my friends was a cop and called me up and told me there was a bench warrant out for me. I was like, "What?!?!?!?!" So, when I called them up, they told me, yes, when I arrived to pay it, I would be placed under arrest "temporarily" until they processed the ticket. That it shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Uhhhhh.... no thanks. So I got the exact amount and mailed it to them. They sent me a receipt which I carried around in my wallet for at least 5 years after that, just in case I got pulled over and their system didn't show that I had paid that ticket.

<edit> Bwahahaha! Since I just mentioned that, I wondered if I still needed that receipt... I took it out of my wallet because I didn't have alot of room. Now I've cleared my wallet some and I looked right in front of me on the desk and there's that receipt!

That ****'s going back in my wallet again! ;)

It was $149.25, paid 09/15/2008, on a ticket from 1993. I'm keeping this receipt with me again. lol

I got arrested when I was 19. I had called roadside assistance for a dead battery and they sent out a sheriff deputy! He ran my license because that is what they do when they make contact with a 19 year old who is living in his car and has a leaf necklace.

Found a warrant for a ticket that I thought I had paid. I had $75 in cash. ticket was $100. Guess who spent some time in the pokey because bondsmen won't post a $100 bond, it isn't worth their time?

12 hours later, I found a bondsman that was willing to help me out. Cost me the full $100 for the bond, plus I had to pay another $100 to the city for the stupid ticket. I was a broke college student living in my car because the dorm was full and I was on the wait list. yeah, that was fun.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going after Zombie tickets is what Valley Brook did several years ago. The Oklahoma Attorney General's Office stepped in and put a stop to it. I don't know who you could go to for help if it's state sanctioned.

Maybe Gov Rick Perry can use that as ammunition while he is in New York trying to entice businesses to relocate to Texas.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got arrested when I was 19. I had called roadside assistance for a dead battery and they sent out a sheriff deputy! He ran my license because that is what they do when they make contact with a 19 year old who is living in his car and has a leaf necklace.
<snip>
I was a broke college student living in my car because the dorm was full and I was on the wait list. yeah, that was fun.

I remember a college kid who did that. I had to pull him out after he died using a space heater in the car. :(

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I too have a ticket in colorado. For not paying a toll. About 7 years ago we traded my wife's Impala for a Trailblazer at Bob Fishers in Norman. I forgot to take the plate off the Impala, which made its way to Colorado and blew through a toll booth. I got the ticket last year. After trying to straighten it out, just Said Piss on it, I ain't paying. I'll deal with it some other time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom