Female high school student says she was booted from prom for wearing pants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shafer Rupard is a student at Cherryville High School in North Carolina. On Saturday the high school held its prom at the Cherryville Golf & Country Club, and Ms. Rupard went with friends. They went inside and got on the dance floor. But the high school senior says that a teacher then approached her and asked her to leave. As WBTV 3 News reports, the reason the teacher gave is causing controversy.

Ms. Rupard had arrived to prom wearing red skinny jeans, and it appears that’s what caught the teacher’s ire. She told WBTV, “The teacher tapped me on the shoulder and said she had a problem with what I was wearing. I thought it was because of the hat or the leather jacket and I was like, ‘Well, I'll take those off,’ and she was like no, ‘It's the pants.’"

Shafer thinks being kicked out of her prom for wearing pants is “ridiculous.” Her mother, Shawn McQuaige, agrees. Ms. McQuaige says she went to school officials to ask why her daughter was treated this way. She says that the event invitation, Cherryville High’s student code of conduct book, and the Gaston County Schools code of conduct do not indicate there is any kind of dress code for the prom. Shafer’s mother said that the school’s assistant principal, when presented with this information, said, “You know what? You're right there is no dress code here." The student handbook (PDF) does make a point to say, “Cherryville High School will develop a culture that is safe, nurturing, celebrates diversity and promotes school pride.”

McQuaige and Rupard say they have not received an apology or response from the school’s principal yet. WBTV tried to get in touch with school officials, but were unable to because Cherryville High is on spring break.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...ed-from-prom-for-wearing-pants-163120754.html

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shafer Rupard is a student at Cherryville High School in North Carolina. On Saturday the high school held its prom at the Cherryville Golf & Country Club, and Ms. Rupard went with friends. They went inside and got on the dance floor. But the high school senior says that a teacher then approached her and asked her to leave. As WBTV 3 News reports, the reason the teacher gave is causing controversy.

Ms. Rupard had arrived to prom wearing red skinny jeans, and it appears that’s what caught the teacher’s ire. She told WBTV, “The teacher tapped me on the shoulder and said she had a problem with what I was wearing. I thought it was because of the hat or the leather jacket and I was like, ‘Well, I'll take those off,’ and she was like no, ‘It's the pants.’"

Shafer thinks being kicked out of her prom for wearing pants is “ridiculous.” Her mother, Shawn McQuaige, agrees. Ms. McQuaige says she went to school officials to ask why her daughter was treated this way. She says that the event invitation, Cherryville High’s student code of conduct book, and the Gaston County Schools code of conduct do not indicate there is any kind of dress code for the prom. Shafer’s mother said that the school’s assistant principal, when presented with this information, said, “You know what? You're right there is no dress code here." The student handbook (PDF) does make a point to say, “Cherryville High School will develop a culture that is safe, nurturing, celebrates diversity and promotes school pride.”

McQuaige and Rupard say they have not received an apology or response from the school’s principal yet. WBTV tried to get in touch with school officials, but were unable to because Cherryville High is on spring break.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...ed-from-prom-for-wearing-pants-163120754.html

I'm sure that is the entire story.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The student handbook (PDF) does make a point to say, “Cherryville High School will develop a culture that is safe, nurturing, celebrates diversity and promotes school pride.”

Ugh.

So is she a fur trader or something, or was she just dressed differently than expected? The article doesn't mention any real reason, other than a possible, non-existant dress code violation. Citing the "celebrates diversity" blurb from the handbook leads me to believe there's an underlying motive.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why the hell do they have spring break in late April?

The girl should get her money back for the tickets, an apology, and a gift card to nice restaurants. That teacher ruined her Senior Prom, something that just about every girl fantasizes about growing up. Sounds like she didn't have a date, so she was probably trying to make the best of it as it was. Way to go jackass.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it her senior prom? I didn't see where it said so... she could have been a junior or something, I suppose. Either way, yeah, bonehead move. A girl wearing pants isn't a problem anywhere I know of. Even at my own prom (so many years ago <sigh>) a girl would not have been kicked out for such. That's just asinine. Now, a guy in a dress might have been, but these days, I dunno... I doubt it, because you know you're gonna get your ass sued for that one.

But this is just stupid... girls wearing pants to a dance is not a reason to single them out and humiliate them. What if her mom couldn't afford a nice dress for her, so she decided to do it as an eclectic thing?

Totally stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom