The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The age 21 rule sets the United States apart from all advanced Western nations, and it has pushed kids toward pills and other anti-social behavior

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act, passed by Congress 30 years ago this July, is a gross violation of civil liberties and must be repealed. It is absurd and unjust that young Americans can vote, marry, enter contracts, and serve in the military at 18 but cannot buy an alcoholic drink in a bar or restaurant. The age 21 rule sets the United States apart from all advanced Western nations and lumps it with small or repressive countries like Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Indonesia, Qatar, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates.

http://newsok.com/camille-paglia-the-drinking-age-is-past-its-prime/article/4343946

For complete article: http://time.com/72546/drinking-age-alcohol-repeal/

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - when I was in Great Lakes, 18 -21 year olds had to go to Wisconsin to legally drink, yet are there in Illinois serving good ol' Uncle Sam. Makes zero sense.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although the theory is that younger folks can't make decisions rationally and based on experience at that young age. So my argument has been...don't let 'em in the military, get married, vote, pay bills, etc...

Last time I checked, adults older than 21 are out making bad decisions everyday.

So bottoms up kids!

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 1980, here in Oklahoma, I could legally purchase beer. I had to go across the river to Texas to buy the hard stuff. I turned out alright. I don't hardly drink at all any more. Though for a while I did party hard.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 1980, here in Oklahoma, I could legally purchase beer. I had to go across the river to Texas to buy the hard stuff. I turned out alright. I don't hardly drink at all any more. Though for a while I did party hard.

I could buy beer legally for about 5 months before they moved the legal age up to 21. They started running us out of the bars that night at midnight. I could goto Texas or Kansas and buy all I wanted to because they had grandfathered 18 yo in. Do you think progressive OK did that? He!! no.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The age for anything is too arbitrary. Kids mature at different ages. My kids started drinking way before 21. They both were very competent drivers at 14. If we're going by age I've got a 24y/o that shouldn't be allowed to vote and a 27y/o that could run for president.

I say if you can join military, NOTHING is off limits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom