Secession would bankrupt Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And every state except Connecticut, maybe:

[Broken External Image]

From: http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/02/01/oklahoma-no-7-in-reliance-on-federal-funds/
Oklahoma ranks seventh in the nation in its reliance on federal funding to supplement state revenue, according to calculations by State Treasurer Ken Miller.

Of each dollar spent by Oklahoma government during the 2011 fiscal year, more than 43 cents was provided by the federal government, Miller said in his latest Oklahoma Economic Report, released Friday.

Only six states relied more on federal funds. In Mississippi, almost 53 cents of every dollar spent came from the feds. At the other end of the spectrum, the federal government provided less than 10 cents of every dollar spent in Connecticut.

Miller, whose calculations were based on figures obtained from the Council of State Governments, noted that states with the highest reliance on federal funds tended to be controlled by Republican governors and legislatures. Those with the lowest federal funding shares were more likely to be controlled by Democrats.

He termed the counter-relationship “curious.”

In the wake of BLM and Bundy Ranch standoff, I wondered what the damage would be to the state if we ever severed the teat. Looks like all states are essentially deficit spenders, and while we may individually condemn federal debt, the states do their fair share of contributing to it.

What are your thoughts?

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oklahoma would not and should not ever secede on it's own. It's best bet is to be the northernmost province in the Republic of Texas.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma would not and should not ever secede on it's own. It's best bet is to be the northernmost province in the Republic of Texas.

I'd die first. Perhaps an Oklahoma/ Texas federation on the other hand. The thing about all this is that these states wouldn't have to rely on federal money if the federal govt wasn't taking so much money from the states' citizens.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd die first. Perhaps an Oklahoma/ Texas federation on the other hand. The thing about all this is that these states wouldn't have to rely on federal money if the federal govt wasn't taking so much money from the states' citizens.

No way!! I ain't ceding nothing with Texas. We whooped ass over a certain county once. If we're going to cede with another state, I pick Arkansas. I got some hot cousins over there.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OMG NEVER be a part of Texas for anything. Ill take the stars and stripes forever[B over being a "province" of Texas . What a d*** insult to Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom