Saiga 12 experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about one for fun and if I trust it, maybe a home defense gun. Anyone had experience with them? Any issues with reliability?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Tromix Saiga 12 and it's simply one of the best guns I own. It had a few hiccups when brand new and testing various ammo types. No malfs in the last 600 or so rounds, which includes a lot of slug & buckshot.

I'd trust mine for HD.

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gas operated shotguns are a little picky about ammo; they won't run reliably on certain cheap ammo, and they don't like very light loads either.

But once you've got that sorted they are very reliable. It's an AK, after all.

Obligatory Tromix pics:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Nice guns above too. I'd love to see the face of a home invader when they saw that gun with the drum. I'll do a little digging on the Tromix, but are you all fans of the stock piece too?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I shot mine on a round of skeet before having Tony work his magic. Much softer recoil than the Benelli M-1 I was comparing it side by side to.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gas operated shotguns are a little picky about ammo; they won't run reliably on certain cheap ammo, and they don't like very light loads either.

But once you've got that sorted they are very reliable. It's an AK, after all.

Obligatory Tromix pics:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Bob I was under the impression that once they got broke in and any kinks worked out that they would run on cheap Wal-mart birdshot. Am I wrong about that?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the legality on those short ones? And is a pistol grip conversion something doable for a handy type or is it a gunsmith thing?

That's a nice backlog at Tromix. No orders until Jan 2011!

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bob I was under the impression that once they got broke in and any kinks worked out that they would run on cheap Wal-mart birdshot. Am I wrong about that?

They run better when they're broken in; but all the guns are different. Mine runs on walmart bulk, but some don't...there are a lot of little tricks that Tony does to them to make them extra-reliable...one of the reasons his guns are in such high demand.

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's the legality on those short ones? And is a pistol grip conversion something doable for a handy type or is it a gunsmith thing?

The ones depicted above are Short Barreled Shotguns and all NFA rules apply, including $200 tax stamp to transfer.

The PG conversion is definetly doable. In fact, Tromix makes a DIY triggerguard/PG mount kit and a modified FCG that really make it easy. See one of our dealers, a complete list is on the website:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-TROMIX-PARTS/Categories

If anyone needs help or advise on doing their own conversion I'm always around here to help.

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
...are you all fans of the stock piece too?

The stock gun is fine; the trigger is a little funky since they added the "sporting config" linkage, but that shouldn't matter for HD.

But as I mentioned above, you certainly can DIY-it back to AK configuration. Lots of guys have with no more than a drill or a dremel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom