What's a good deer hunting rifle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What brand, price ? Thinking maybe .270 or what do you guys think? 700 to 800 dollar range with scope. I appreciate all the help. Im thinking about trading my 1911 S&W for one.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
rem 700 sps with a leupold VX II is rock solid. .270 if you hunt open country 30-06 if you hunt the big woods cheap ammo and you can find it anywhere.Look for a reputable dealer on ebay for better pricing on optics.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's like asking what you should carry for CCW. You're going to get a ton of varying opinions. Pretty much any rifle 243 or larger that you are comfortable with and can shoot accuratly under adverse conditions.

Unless you're a reloader I would suggest getting something in a cal that is easy to find and reasonably priced. I like 30-06, but the 270 is an excelent choice for elk size game and smaller.

The optics you put on it will be a very critical part of it. Don't buy an expensive rifle just to put junk optics on it.

Most of all be safe and have fun in the outdoors.

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with bigcountryok. My family has taken deer with 30.06, .270 , .243 and 30-30. I am parcial to the 30.06 and have taken deer with it at a range of 50 to 200 yards using Remington corelokt bullets which are easy to find, available in a variety of sizes and reasonably priced.

Also agree on the opinion on the need for quality optics.

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's like asking what you should carry for CCW. You're going to get a ton of varying opinions. Pretty much any rifle 243 or larger that you are comfortable with and can shoot accuratly under adverse conditions.

Unless you're a reloader I would suggest getting something in a cal that is easy to find and reasonably priced. I like 30-06, but the 270 is an excelent choice for elk size game and smaller.

The optics you put on it will be a very critical part of it. Don't buy and expensive rifle just to put junk optics on it.

Most of all be safe and have fun in the outdoors.

I know that, I just want to hear what people here like to use. Im even thinking of trying a bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom