Pistol refinishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have any experience with having a pistol repainted or refinished? I have a Para-Ordnance .45ACP (prx1445) 1911 commemorative pistol from my Iraq deployment, It's painted coyote brown with "us army" and OIF black wording on it. Personally i think it make's the pistol look tacky and toyish. Im just wanting to have it refinished in all black. Any help is appreciated.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of options...CeraKote, GunKote or Duracoat....on this board...there are a couple of guys who do it. Olyeller is one of the best on the board...no offense to anyone else...he does all three I believe. He's done two of my pistols so far and his work is top notch.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Personally i think it make's the pistol look tacky and toyish. Im just wanting to have it refinished in all black. Any help is appreciated.

Hahahah, I wholeheartedly agree. I hate those.

I've had Mike do a two-tone cerakote on an old Sig. He does great work and will stand behind the finish.

If you shop around online you'll find shops that will do it for a bit (read: maybe $10) cheaper. But the difference is in the prep work. Mike spends more time on it and it shows.

As an example, I had an identical P6 with the slide cerakoted by an out of state shop (same color, too). They didn't remove the firing pin block or the sights. Kinda crappy if you ask me. So basically the assembled slide was blasted, sprayed, and baked. The sights were the same color as the slide.

The one I took to AI was completely disassembled, properly prepped, reassembled (he even switched out the front sight post for me w/ an extra he had sitting around because it was shooting a bit low). If you want the gun to be tight and right, go with AI. Plus, he's a board sponsor. Support the guys here on the board if it's an option.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a before and after of my Sig 228 that olyeller (Accurate Iron) refinished.

Before:
[Broken External Image]

After:
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom