best sights for OLD EYES...XS or ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gokc

New to the site!
Reaction score
just joined today...

bought a new 45 M&P...
KISS engineered/good balance/nice high grip.
trigger fix..could make it BEST I've ever!

smith guys adapted some good 1911 basics in the design.
might dump my 1911PD....

any suggestion for old fart eyes? my sight clarity is now about as sharp as my mind ...

heard kudos for XS sights .. rear V/front golf ball..
probably go crimson trace for night, but need some clarity for day.

anyone tried XS ? or... suggestions.

thanks!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not personally care for the XS sights at all. What they provide in speed at close range is at the sacrifice of precision and speed at longer distances. Often the speed they give inside 5-7 yards could as easily be accomplished with practice at natural point of aim.

My old eyes prefer fiber optics. If you're needing something that really grabs the eye in daylight and low light, you might look at the Truglo TFO's.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not personally care for the XS sights at all. What they provide in speed at close range is at the sacrifice of precision and speed at longer distances. Often the speed they give inside 5-7 yards could as easily be accomplished with practice at natural point of aim.

My old eyes prefer fiber optics. If you're needing something that really grabs the eye in daylight and low light, you might look at the Truglo TFO's.

+1, and my eyes are older than his.
Plus I wear "computer glasses" prescription that focuses at the front sight.

Gokc

New to the site!
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys...

I should of clarified. OPPS!
trying to go for a carry/defnse gun. ie/simple iron site replacements.
.... nuthin' cumbersome/special

I'll sure look the truglos...

thanks again !
Gary

.....Know any OK area smiths good on M&P triggers that... aren't backlogged ?
(realize I'm probably dreaming on "not backlogged!)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys...

I should of clarified. OPPS!
trying to go for a carry/defnse gun. ie/simple iron site replacements.
.... nuthin' cumbersome/special

I'll sure look the truglos...

thanks again !
Gary

.....Know any OK area smiths good on M&P triggers that... aren't backlogged ?
(realize I'm probably dreaming on "not backlogged!)

Backlog or not, the only person I'd have do an M&P trigger job is olyeller (Accurate Iron, one of our OSA sponsors). Mike's work on M&P's is some of the best in the country, and his trigger work is fantastic.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Backlog or not, the only person I'd have do an M&P trigger job is olyeller (Accurate Iron, one of our OSA sponsors). Mike's work on M&P's is some of the best in the country, and his trigger work is fantastic.

+1 on olyeller he put an fiber optic front sight blade on my kimber, and it comes with three colors to change to.. that fixed the problem for me....

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used XS pretty exclusively since Ashley Emerson (founder) was still the owner; '94 or so, as I recall.

Any how, I'm not too partial to the Big Dot, but the Standard Dot up front is perfection for me (very astigmatic).

Currently, I'm running a Warren Tactical rear with XS Standard trit front. Lots of light in the Warren's wide rear cut, but a narrower channel giving better precision.

Steve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i put the XS Big Dots on my Glock 30 and love them, perfect for 15 feet quick acquisition of your sights. they work for me. i was told put the big dot right on the target within 15 feet, anything farther drop the big dot to the base of the target. that info was right on for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom