ElPaso Pocket Max Holster Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased an El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max holster in horsehide for a J- Frame S&W. Here are my initial thoughts and review after carrying it for about a week.

1. Construction: Very well made, stitching is tight and appears to be glued as well as stitched. The edges are burnished for a nice finished look. Leather (horsehide) is very thick and should provide years of pocket use.

2. Fit: The fit on my S&W Model 36 is perfect. My gun has the exposed hammer and it is tucked neatly behind a small "tip" along the top of the holster (see pic) and does not snag when drawn properly. No portion of the barrel sticks out of the end of the holster. I think you will find the same fit quality if you buy it for other models but I can only speak for the J Frame model.

3. Performance: The rough side of the holster out sticks to the inside of all of my pants pockets better than the DeSantis Nemesis does. I preferred the rounded bottom as that is the shape of most of my pants pockets. The rounded bottom made the holster "seat" down in my pocket nicer than [more] square bottomed holsters do. In the short time I have carried this holster it has already begun to form to my leg and is even more unobtrusive than when new.

4. Cons: I really could come up with anything so I will just mention that the rough out leather will soil a little easier than if the smooth side was out but holsters are supposed to get used and that will result in some wear. That's the only "negative" I could come up with.

Overall: I think it is a very good looking holster and if you are a purist who thinks guns belong in leather, then you will appreciate it even more. I would highly recommend this holster. and for only $42, I think it was a fairly priced product for what it is intended. I give it a Five (out of five) hollowpoints rating. (My own rating system)

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P8160007.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P8160003.jpg

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Burke I've got a couple of questions for ya.

First, what rounds are you feeding your 36 I'm guessing thats what the nyclad is. Second where did you get the speed strip?

Thanks
hunter966

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I carry the new Federal NyClad 125 gr hollowpoints. Kind of hard to find but they are sweet expanders and standard pressure. The speed strips came from H&H for $8. but you can get them online (eBay) cheap.

Hey Burke I've got a couple of questions for ya.

First, what rounds are you feeding your 36 I'm guessing thats what the nyclad is. Second where did you get the speed strip?

Thanks
hunter966

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the good review.

So my question is this, do you think the leather is thick enough that the gun won't mold it to the point that it starts to print through the holster?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point but I don't think so. We will have to see. I think if it does mold a little it will still break up the outline fine. GED did mention one thing to me about this holster (and the similar GALCO) the seam along the from is rather stiff. In flimsy pants like slacks it does show a line through your pants but I am the only one that notices.

This might be a little better with thicker pants

BC

Thanks for the good review.

So my question is this, do you think the leather is thick enough that the gun won't mold it to the point that it starts to print through the holster?

Latest posts

Top Bottom