Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default how to check if a gun may be stolen

i am thinking about purchasing a gun off of a private seller is there anyway you can check to make sure it is not stolen

Default Re: how to check if a gun may be stolen

If you have your doubts, maybe you should abort the deal.

I'm just sayin'.

It used to be, I'd just call NCIC. Got the number from a buddy. We used it when buying old Harley frames and engine cases a lot. One day, they asked me for my commission number. Musta been a new policy. Anyway, I explained that I was just a regular schmoe, and that was the end of that. That was in the early 1990s. Got no idea now.

Got any police friends? That's what I'd do, if I was concerned. Get a bill of sale, DL #. One guy even took a picture of me. No big deal. I'm real pretty!

If you are really thinking it is hot, just don't buy it!
    Be this;

Trustworthy
    Loyal
    Helpful
    Friendly
    Courteous
    Kind
    Obedient
    Cheerful
    Thrifty
    Brave
    Clean
    and Reverent

Super Dave's Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    If you have your doubts, maybe you should abort the deal.

I'm just sayin'.
    Very good point

But I would think a police station could/would check for you
    Guns
    Glock 21c
    Glock 23c
    Ruger GP100 4" and 6" barrel
    Benelli SuperNova 12 guage
    DPMS 24" Super Bull AR-15
    Custom Mauser Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone2985 View Post
    Very good point

But I would think a police station could/would check for you
    If they do...and it is...you COULD be charged with possession of stolen property.

If you're lucky enough NOT to be charged with such, the weapon will DEFINITELY be seized and then you gotta explain to the guy where "his" gun is.

Good luck.

could always have it transferred to you via FFL

I think any problems would be flagged and you wouldn't be out money (wouldn't transfer a stolen gun to you) or trying to explain how you have a stolen gun.
    My Feedback

Doberman Rescue Group, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that finds forever homes for abandoned and surrendered dobermans. Please help by donating items, money, or your time. (918) 365-0101

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    It used to be, I'd just call NCIC. Got the number from a buddy. We used it when buying old Harley frames and engine cases a lot. One day, they asked me for my commission number. Musta been a new policy. Anyway, I explained that I was just a regular schmoe, and that was the end of that. That was in the early 1990s. Got no idea now.

Got any police friends? That's what I'd do, if I was concerned. Get a bill of sale, DL #. One guy even took a picture of me. No big deal. I'm real pretty!

If you are really thinking it is hot, just don't buy it!
    Did you say you are pretty?

Quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    the weapon will DEFINITELY be seized and then you gotta explain to the guy where "his" gun is.

Good luck.
    I had a friend who had a buddy of mine,an OSBI agent,check a gun he bought at a gun show and it came back stolen.My agent buddy had no choice but to seize the weapon.Buy guns at gun shows from individuals at your own risk.If you buy from a dealer,you may pay a little more but you will have recourse if it shows up later as stolen. Steve
    "There are no victims,only volunteers.You volunteer by looking uncertain and afraid.You volunteer by being,as grass eaters invariably are,unprepared to confront the hazards of life." Col. Jeff Cooper

i had a guy buy a 1891 mosin from me at a gunshow, he kept asking me if it was stolen, i was kind of insulted because i had bought it from a board sponsor, and of course no it wasnt hot

thank you all for your info decieded not to purchase it

Quote Originally Posted by rct84 View Post
    If you had your doubts, that's probably a good call on your part.

Always remember...when in doubt - do without!

you know... i personally think a firearm transferred through an FFL could STILL be stolen. I'm not 100% positive that that serial number is run through NCIC etc.

let me explain...

say.... you buy a gun at a pawn shop... that took the gun in on a pawn and was never re-claimed... but the gun pawned wasn't theirs to pawn (but hey, all they have to do is lie on the pawn slip and say it was theirs).... instead, maybe it was a borrowed gun.

Then a few days, weeks, or months later, the original owner finds out the gun was pawned by the person who borrowed it, files a police report, and now the new owner of the firearm that purchased it legally from the pawn shop is now the proud owner of a STOLEN firearm, and has to give it up to the popo.

Interesting thought huh?

could happen through any FFL or anyone anywhere. Gun sold to someone, sold again, through an FFL, etc etc etc. Original owner realizes his buddy has effed him over and files a stolen gun report. You now own a stolen firearm that you purchased on a 4473. Hummmmmm
    Nanotech9's Classifieds Feedback
    NANOFAB ::: CUSTOM KYDEX HOLSTERS etc

Quote Originally Posted by rct84 View Post
    HMMMMM, was it cheep?
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates.
    “The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”― Theodore Roosevelt
    My feedback.

Don't EVEN get me started on this subject - it's probably my biggest gun-related pet peeve - there absolutely should be a way for anyone to check, anytime, on a simple website, before a prospective purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanotech9 View Post
    you know... i personally think a firearm transferred through an FFL could STILL be stolen. I'm not 100% positive that that serial number is run through NCIC etc.

let me explain...

say.... you buy a gun at a pawn shop... that took the gun in on a pawn and was never re-claimed... but the gun pawned wasn't theirs to pawn (but hey, all they have to do is lie on the pawn slip and say it was theirs).... instead, maybe it was a borrowed gun.

Then a few days, weeks, or months later, the original owner finds out the gun was pawned by the person who borrowed it, files a police report, and now the new owner of the firearm that purchased it legally from the pawn shop is now the proud owner of a STOLEN firearm, and has to give it up to the popo.

Interesting thought huh?

could happen through any FFL or anyone anywhere. Gun sold to someone, sold again, through an FFL, etc etc etc. Original owner realizes his buddy has effed him over and files a stolen gun report. You now own a stolen firearm that you purchased on a 4473. Hummmmmm
    In a perfect world, that won't happen because all pawn tickets are SUPPOSSED to be hand delivered to the local PD at least once a week. The gun that was pawned is suppossed to stay in pawn and not released for public sale for at least 30 days.

If the PD does it's job and runs an NCIC check on each and every pawned firearm, if one is REPORTED stolen, then it will show up.