.223 load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okieyote

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been loading my .223 for coyotes with 28.5 grains of IMR4895 with a 55 grn ballistic tip bullet. This load is extremely accurate out of my Remington 700VS. I'm thinking about going with a heavier bullet weight and slow it down to minimize pelt damage.

Anyone have any loads they like?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never developed a good coyote load for the .223 but my .22-250 load is about 3200 fps with a 55 gr. vmax. Killed many coyotes and a few bobcats with that load and I can't ever remember an exit. Killed quite a few deer with it too and it has been very effective. DRT Might be a good bullet to try. I don't know if you can get that velocity out of the .223 but it might work at a little lower. The nosler bt shoots to the same point of aim but it does not work as well as the vmax. I had several pass through with it and runners that were hit perfect. If you work something up fur friendly and effective, let me know. I like to take the ar out every now and then.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been loading my .223 for coyotes with 28.5 grains of IMR4895 with a 55 grn ballistic tip bullet. This load is extremely accurate out of my Remington 700VS. I'm thinking about going with a heavier bullet weight and slow it down to minimize pelt damage.

Anyone have any loads they like?

I've never been coyote hunting myself, but i'm curious. What do you do with the pelts since you're concerned about their damage?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check your twist rate on your Remington, my varminter was 1X12 and didn't like anything much hevier than a 55, but that was a while ago and Remington might have sped up the twist since then.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
26.5 grains of Varget has dropped several yotes, but i magage to hit the shoulder everytime which then sends bone like gernade, the ones i have hit did not do too much damage then again i guess it depends on the range as well, i hope that helps.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might check your twist rate on your Remington, my varminter was 1X12 and didn't like anything much hevier than a 55, but that was a while ago and Remington might have sped up the twist since then.

Ya, what he said. Twist rate will have everything to do with bullet weight. Do you know how to check twist rate w/ a tight fitting patch?

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington 700 SPS, 223, 1 in 12 twist, 24" tube.
Nosler 55 grain B.T.
Winchester new or once fired case at 1.750"
27.5 grains of BLC2
CCI 400 S.R. Primer.
This shows to be a max load in my book but I have had no pressure problems what so ever but use your own judgement. Pretty fast and real accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom