What time do you get in your blind/stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner_Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious as to the times you guys will be hitting your spots a week from Saturday for opening gun?

I will be in my blind by 615am. Probably will walk out sometime between 11 and 1 for some lunch and them right back in for the afternoon.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be walking into the class room at USSA around 7:15 on that day. It is the first opening day I have missed since I started hunting. I like to get to the hunting spot 1 hour before the sun comes up. I think it is peaceful.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to be the first into the woods since I use a climbing stand it takes a little longer to get in the tree and get settled. I like to have 30 minutes before it gets light to settle down and get ready.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually time my walks to get to my stand just as first light breaks.

I rarely see deer directly after sunrise at my usual morning stands (travel corridors), and don't seem to be spooking them by doing this. If the deer are there, you will bump them, if there not you can walk through tooting an air horn and 30 minutes later they will still pass through.

My main reason for this is I can only sit for so many hours on stand before I go nuts and have to get down. Now way I'm trading an hour of dark for an hour of light. If I can sit 5 hours comfortably, I'd rather sit the first 5 hours of light than 1 hour of dark and 4 of light.

Now, opening day of gun season I might get there a little earlier, and let the truck door slammers, cigarette smoking coughers and guys jacking shells in lever guns at their stand site on the neighbors land push me some deer.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually time my walks to get to my stand just as first light breaks.

I rarely see deer directly after sunrise at my usual morning stands (travel corridors), and don't seem to be spooking them by doing this. If the deer are there, you will bump them, if there not you can walk through tooting an air horn and 30 minutes later they will still pass through.

My main reason for this is I can only sit for so many hours on stand before I go nuts and have to get down. Now way I'm trading an hour of dark for an hour of light. If I can sit 5 hours comfortably, I'd rather sit the first 5 hours of light than 1 hour of dark and 4 of light.

+1 to this...

I've jumped up many deer that were bedded down, trekking down the road/trail to my stand/blind. Since then, I like to head that way as Ridgehunter said as first light breaks, taking my time, hoping to catch them bedded down as I've jumped them before.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
usually I'll be walking in right at twilight...

where I hunt has all sorts of natural spots ...no stands needed.
after about 3 hours my patience gives out, then I'll start stalking.

very quietly of course. have sneaked up on many a deer this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom