is the cold weather next week going to kick it off!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was under the impression that a good cold front will make it better, and if it is hot they will rut at night and in turn you wont see many deer in the day time? i am a neewb at this about 4yrs so trying to learn all i can. please enlighten me on this as when i can expect lots of deer to been seen :) as i have been out every weekend since bow started and i have not seen a increase in deer movement, better yet probably a loss of deer movement latley. seeing does on fields but no bucks, and not many sightings in the woods either, thats why i was under the impression that things were going on at night, and hoping the cold would bring them out in the light hours.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are so many variables that factor in to deer movement and rut activity that there is no realistic way to predict deer movement. There are certain factors that do increase deer activity, but just when you think you have it figured out, everything changes.

Example was this past weekend. Windy conditions, bright moon, a little warm. I slept in Sat and for grins went out Sunday just to get in the woods. I didn't think I would see much, but saw more deer activity than I have all year.

One thing I do know. You won't know unless you get out into the woods.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was under the impression that a good cold front will make it better, and if it is hot they will rut at night and in turn you wont see many deer in the day time? i am a neewb at this about 4yrs so trying to learn all i can. please enlighten me on this as when i can expect lots of deer to been seen :) as i have been out every weekend since bow started and i have not seen a increase in deer movement, better yet probably a loss of deer movement latley. seeing does on fields but no bucks, and not many sightings in the woods either, thats why i was under the impression that things were going on at night, and hoping the cold would bring them out in the light hours.

Keep in mind that as food sources change deer movement changes. Often and early season hot spot will be dead within weeks. Hunting pressure can cause changes in their patterns too. Even a neighbor putting out bait will alter their patterns. Are you hunting the same set ups on a regular basis? You could be over hunting your spots.

Stick with it, but if something isn't working, make a change and see what happens.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have 3 pieces of 160acre each and we hunt all of them every weekend to keep the places fresh there is also about 20 stands on each place and we sit at diffrent spots just about every hunt to try and see something to figure out where they are adn we are fully decked with sent lok clothing (coveralls, face mask, head rag, gloves, and rubber boots). i think there food source is the same as it was last month they were on the wheat then and two weeks ago they were there i did not sit on the field this past weekend but signs of them were still there. our accorns didnt do very good this year there is a small patch i hunt by and have seen many deer come through there and get some but it has all stoped now. Dont know if a buck has claimed that area and the other bucks are staying away from it or what. We have seen some great trails that look like a express way i think i am going to get on the ground nearby and see if when they are coming through and where they are heading to try and get this figured out somewhat. Im just hoping this cold weather will spark them into something and the 1st weekend of gun should be great i hope lol.

love the info by the way fellas i like to hear other opinions on these matters so keep them coming.

also found some good rubs BIG ones 3 about 40-80yrds away from each other and have not seen the maker yet.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your question is worded wrong. Is the cold weather going to kick off the rut? The answer is not really. The does will come into estrous no matter the temp, I believe it has a lot to do with length of daylight and such. The answer I think you are after is..yes the cold weather should cause more rut activity to be seen. The deer should be out and about more in the daylight hours.

All of the above info is my OPINION, don't throw rocks at me if you disagree.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. Are you hunting the same set ups on a regular basis? You could be over hunting your spots.

Stick with it, but if something isn't working, make a change and see what happens.

That is very common to folks that have a limited area to hunt. It doesn't take much pressure to make deer change their habits. The cold front coming up will make the deer feed a little more in anticipation of laying up during a rain storm, but keep in mind they still have to eat just like us. One of the biggest bucks I've taken was during a driving rain storm at 1pm as it was walking down a tree line heading for a milo field.

RMA1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems like the rut is getting started, the kids saw 2 bucks chasing a doe on the school bus tues. morning and I have been seeing some bucks traveling the tree rows and creek edges while on the way to work. If it cools off some the activity will definitely pick up more in the daylight hours. Should be a good archery weekend. Good hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom