The greatest video game-turned-movie is finally getting its sequel on the big screen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, Tron Legacy is coming to theaters. Jeff Bridges is in this one too. Its going to rock like no other movie (except for the original 80s version).

Daft Punk is doing the music for it - that's the only thing that could make it more awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwvuirSEAA

Careful when watching this trailer - the awesomeness might just explode your head or cause you to crap your pants.

I was trying to explain to my kids how awesome the 80s movie was, only to find out that the local video rental place doesn't have it in stock - so they're ordering it for me (and because the owner was pretty shocked that they didn't have this classic in stock). I forgave him, but I'll always look at that video store differently now.

We rented the Dark Crystal and the Labyrinth instead. My daughter wants to see the New Moon movie (sequel to the crappy Twilight Vampire movie) and I was attempting to explain how in the 80s, they made real vampire movies and how all of the Lost Boys would have stomped the crap out of the cast of New Moon in like 20 seconds.

I've instituted a new rule in my house (especially after watching the steaming pile of Transformers 2 and wanting to cause harm to Michael Bay). We're only renting 80s movies from now on because they need to watch the same stuff I did when I was growing up.

Anywho - go see the new Tron movie - but not on opening night - I don't want it to be crowded when I go.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That they had the original voice actor for Optimus Prime guaranteed my attendance at both new Transformers movies. I've waited twenty years to see Optimus kick ass and now I'm old enough that mixing various Transformers universes and other inaccuracies didn't matter a bit.

Oh yeah, there was the whole thing of stinky plots, but hey...really no different than the 80s cartoon.

edit: The source of Optimus' voice, taken from "Lifewhile" entertainment news:

"How Cullen came up with the voice of the character is a unique story within itself. Quashing the rumors that it was inspired by John Wayne, Cullen said his vocal delivery for Optimus Prime is essentially an impersonation of his older brother, Larry, a veteran of the Marine Corps. Cullen said Larry, who is 13 months his senior, "saw a lot of action and a lot of tragedy" as a grunt in Vietnam, and received the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for being wounded during his time of duty.

While sharing an apartment with Larry in Los Angeles in the early 1980s, Cullen said a conversation with brother prior to his audition for Optimus Prime serendipitously provided him with right tone for the character.

"Not knowing what I was getting involved with, I remember being exuberant while we were sharing a cup of coffee and being more expressive than usual," Cullen recalled. "Then, he said to me in his relatively deep voice, 'Peter, don't go over overboard with your audition. Just cool it. Be in control. Just be calm and go get 'em.'"

"So when I got to reading the breakdown of Optimus Prime, I could see what they were going for -- dignity, honor and coolness, and the empathy and leadership at the time. He had tremendous character and Larry's voice came to my mind," Cullen added. "He had this controlled, Marine Corps leadership voice. So it just hit me and I came out with an impression of Larry's voice -- I was just lucky enough to be with him that morning, to be able to incorporate his sound and knowing who he was as a person." Using his brother's voice as a springboard, Cullen said that he immediately embraced Optimus Prime not as merely a robot, but a heroic character with several dimensions."

Who could ask for anything more?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely you mean steaming pile of goodness...

Transformers 2? I'm sorry, but the dog-humping scene wasn't funny, and they panned back to it like 3 times. That's like the douche at the party that tries to re-tell one of Dane Cook's bad jokes, and then keeps referring to it the rest of the night like everyone's still cracking up at him when really, everyone's just awkward enough to hope the guy hurries up and drinks himself into a coma so they can just get on with the party.

Then they had a robot humping Megan Fox's leg - like, "hey remember that crappy joke that we (the writers) got stoned for like an hour and then wrote it into the script - well, its back only totally different *giggling for 20 more minutes*".

The language was totally un-necessary. I tried watching it with my kids and about the second time the mom dropped the $#!T bomb, I was like "c'mon - was that necessary at all?".

I had the same complaint with GI Joe, but they didn't take it as far, and aside from having Marlin Wayans in it, I'm ok with the way it turned out (it was semi-kid friendly - but still had some language in it that they could have done without and nothing would have been lost in the movie).

I don't know - I was just horribly disappointed with the 2nd Transformers movie and couldn't get over the fact that it had a friggin PG 13 rating, but they said like every cuss word except for the F-bomb (unless I missed it) and had all kinds of sexual references in it (not to mention description of drug usage throughout it). There's no way a movie even 5 years ago would have gotten away with all that and had a PG 13 rating.

Oh and the twin robots who basically pissed all over every stereotype they could (including the "we ain't too good with the readin' and stuff) without actually being JarJar Binks.

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing that makes a movie cooler than hearing an Autobot utter the phrase "punk ass decepticon" or hearing one of the twins call someone a *****. Oh, unless its John Turturro saying "I'm under the enemies... testicles" when talking about a robot bad-guy.

I hope the writers of that movie were water-boarded - and I hope Michael Bay decides to stop making movies and stick to what he does best - which is obviously overseeing a waste treatment facility.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's like the douche at the party that tries to re-tell one of Dane Cook's bad jokes, and then keeps referring to it the rest of the night like everyone's still cracking up at him when really, everyone's just awkward enough to hope the guy hurries up and drinks himself into a coma so they can just get on with the party.

Do we know each other?

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, tell us how you really feel!
Actually I was also disappointed with Transformers 2, I think the scene with Optimus fighting in the forest is the only redeeming quality.
And like buckeye notes, his voice is really cool.
Sorry to maintain the off-topic LoL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom