Narrowing down a new rifle choice for next year,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am looking for a new rifle, hunting, either bolt action or single shot...

Caliber is allready choosen, .243

I have so far narrowed my search down to 3.....

Leading the pack, Savage, American Classic Left hand, I like this rifle for one main thing, detachable box magizine, I like that feature.
http://www.savagearms.com/14AmerClassic-Left.htm

Second in the race, Ruger...Good rifle, I had one years ago in .270
http://ruger-firearms.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandardLeftHanded/index.html

Last is a Encore, I have owned one of thse as well, nice set up, I do like the single shots, they have a place in my cold heart, also the caliber swap is a nice feature....
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=3603

All of these are Blued steel, my preferance, and wood stocks, something else I like in a hunting rifle just the feel of wood stock, the deep blue of the steel..I just like...

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to add that barrel length is a factor, with the bolt rifles having a 22" barrle, the Encore a 26", I prefer the 22" or shorter barrel.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to add that barrel length is a factor, with the bolt rifles having a 22" barrle, the Encore a 26", I prefer the 22" or shorter barrel.

You can order custom Thompson Barrels or have them cut down by a decent gunsmith - I did that to a Thompson Pro-Hunter barrel for a friend as a Christmas gift last year.

Understanding that with blued steel, you have to take that into consideration, but again - we've got folks who can re-blue here in this great state.

Just sayin' - no reason why you can't have exactly what you want with so many gunsmiths and shops around (hell, I'd cut it down to 20" - that's what I had that Pro-Hunter barrel cut to and it looks great).

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a savage model 12 in .243 that's about 3 weeks old. I'm a fan of wood and blue too but I wanted to try the accustock. It's been great so far. I've shot about 40 rounds through it. It seems to do good with 58, 70, and 87gr bullets. I haven't had a chance to try 100grs yet. It'll hold under 1" with all three weights. I have a Ruger #1 in 45/70. Have you shot or hunted with a #1? Mine will clover leaf 325gr LFNGC bullets at 100yds. I love the #1, I just wish I could afford more.

Something I've noticed about the accustock Savage is the blueing has a higher luster to it than my old ones. I have a .308 model 11GL with sights, about 8-10 years old and a .223 model 12 varminter w/26" bull bbl. about 3-4 years old. They don't seem to have as nice blueing as the new one does.

I like single shots too and the barrel swap on the T/C is a plus. You could do a barrel swap on the Savage too if you wanted too. The bolt dim. on a .243 covers quite a few caliber changes.

Can't go wrong with the Ruger either. I've not owned a bolt rifle from Ruger but have several pistols and a 10/22. You really can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. If you could try them on for size so to speak and see which one feels best to you, that's the one I'd pick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom