7mm saum or .284 win?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to do my first rifle build soon on a surgeon rsr. I know i want a 7mm but not sure if the extra velocity of the saum is worth the decrease in barrel life. I'm going to be using a surgeon rsr(for wsm) that has a bottom load port lenth of 3.1" and probably the seekins precision detachable mag sytem and the mags have 3.14" oal inside. I will be shooting the berger 180 vld. Really my main question is how fast can i get the 180s to go in a 284 win. with a 2.99" coal? If i can get it close to or over 3000fps with rl17 or another powder then i will go with the 284. OH i plan on using a Broughton 5C at 26". Let me know what you think and if you have any better ideas. I'm hoping to use this rifle for paper punching and hunting the two weeks of rifle season(different loads for hunting!, I don't want to ruin any meat). I've done alot of research on 6mmbr and snipershide and found alot of good info but just thought i would get some opnions from some fellow okies

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the 7mm SAUM still exist? I don't think I've ever seen a rifle in that caliber.

I'd go with a .284 Win, but that's because I'm drawn to the more obsolete calibers and don't bother myself with stats and such on paper.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 284 is spitting the 162 A-Max over the chrony at 3011fps, 26" 1-9 McGowen with a COL of 3.100" I've had it up to almost 3100 (2984fps) but the accuracy was better when I throtled it back and this is with Hybrid100V powder. Everyone is saying that I can get more fps with the RL-17 I even have a pound on the bench but right now I'm trying to get the 308 finished up so I've yet to play with it.

Something I would look at is the powder consumption! I'm 19.3 grains less powder than a buddie and his 7mm Mag and I have him beat in the fps by around 20fps.

I was going to build a 338 Edge but after building this rifle I really can't see a good reason to have an Edge this 284 is doing everything I wanted, doubt I try to shoot an Elk at 2K with the 284 but these Oklahoma deer need to be careful way out there! My opinion and yes I'm a little bias is to go with the 284 Win, you'll get a bit more barrel life and save money on powder! those 180 Bergers are slippery they don't need a mess of fps to travel a long way! Later,

Kirk

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, 264Mag-that was one of my concerns about the 7mm saum, the availibility of brass and if remington will continue to produce factory ammo. I got out yesterday and did some looking, bass pro has 2 dif. kinds of saum ammo and h&h had several bags of remington brass. Neither had anything for .284 but it can be had online. I don't know of anyone still producing either caliber in a factory bolt rifle.
Ksmirk-that sound like good velocity for the 162gr with 100v. Good to know. How many grains of 100v and Is that compressed? Im curious to see what you get with rl17. I think i'm leaning to the .284. I finally found my most accurate hunting load in my 308, and unforchantly with the most expensive bullet i tried, Barnes MRX. I guess it just makes that meat in the freezer worth a little more.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My load and folks don''t try this in your 284! it's 55gr. Hybrid100V and with the bullets seated to a COL of 3.100" you can still hear the powder shake around inside the case. I have had several folks run this thru thier Qiuckload and I'm told I am about 2K psi over the max for the 284 but it shoots very well and I have no signs of pressure what so ever.

I have found that in Okc you may as well save your money and just order the stuff! OR make a trip out to Gene Sears in El Reno. I wish there were more places that sold the out of the ordinary stuff but I can understand it cost money to stock the odd stuff like 284 Win.

If you follow thru with this project I would highly recommend ordering some Lapua 6.5x284 brass and neck it up to .284! I'm too cheap so I have a mess of Winchester brass since every now and again I get in a hurry and loose it in the grass. Best of luck to ya and any questions just shout I'll try my best to give you a straight answer. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to ask! I've not seen Gary in 5 months, I moved to Norman and I've not been out to Banner since so I don't get to see mant of the folks I used to shoot with. I'm pretty sure he was using RL-22 and something around 65 -66gr. so I guess it would not have been 19.3gr (that would have been me thinking 308) difference but closer to 10gr difference, sorry I was off I appologize! I'll double check this evening in my load book at home but if memory serves I'm gonna say it was 66gr. not sure on the primer. Sorry for the oopsie on my information! Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I found the information! here's the 7 RM load data I was talking about.

26" 1-9 twist
7 Remington Magnum
Remington brass
Federal 215 Mag primer
65.4gr. RL-22
COL 3.330"
162 A-Max
2980fps

My 284 Winload data
26" 1-9 twist
284 Winchester
Federal GM210M primer
Winchester brass
55.0gr. Hybrid 100V
COL 3.100"
162 A-Max
3011fps

Do me a favor folks and DON'T LOAD THIS! PLEASE WORK UP TO!!! Quickload shows my load to be a little overpressure and it also says it's a compressed load (which it's not)

buster11, I don't push anything but this 284 Win just has me excited about the possibilities that have popped up and the ones that I'm sure are to come. It has been a fine hunting round with plenty of horsepower to drop deer (I've not gotten over 200 yards yet but I doubt it will have any problem out on past furthur than I feel confident in shooting, I've yet to make it to a range past 300 yards to date but I'm real excited what this round is going to do. I think and this is my opinion that you would be hard pressed to find a better round for target or hunting. Go over to the 6mmBR website they have some good write ups and load data that you can look over and I believe one guy just finished a Surgeon action build but he used a short action. Good luck to you and check out the 284 Win on your own, I think you'll like what you see. Later,

Kirk

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ksmirk- Thanks for the info. You have been very helpful and i really apreciate getting info from someone that has first hand exper. with the 284. At this point i am for sure going to go with the .284, I think it is the best fit for what i'm trying to do right now. Now i just need to get the chamber specs ironed out. I will be using a short action so i will be limited to 3.1" oal. Do you know how far off the lands your 162 amax is at 3.1" and have you ever tried the 180 bergers? The 180s for me will purely be for paper punching so if i end up having to seat them longer than 3.1 then that won't be a big deal, i can just single feed while at the range, I'm just not sure about all the little details.
On a side note, check out my buck on the last page of the big bucks 09 in the hunting section. I shot that buck at 400 yard with my 270wsm. Actually twice. First shot was excellent, just behind the sholder and through both lungs, buck ran 75 yards, stopped looked back at me and I shot again. Right in the sholder this time and he fell where he stood. My first buck too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom