Looking for Opinions (Sig 556)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing a Sig 556 and would like some pros and cons of the platform. I know it will be tough to get an opinion out of anyone here but please try to push yourself to reply...LOL

I would also like opinions on models if you think it's a decent platform.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a great platform. There has been a QC issue with a piece on the inside of the receiver hitting the BCG and causing some wear, but mine and plenty of others haven't been affected. I have a Classic with front and rear MI BUIS and a Leupold MK 4 1.5-5x20 scope. I'd definitely recommend it. Mine is one of my favorites.

pros:
-Civilian version of proven Swiss piston operated assault rifle
-Very accurate
-Better trigger than stock AR
-Slightly less/different recoil than AR due to front weight of gas piston and front gas port
-Very fun to shoot and extremely reliable and easy to maintain in my experience
-Definitely high on the list of "AR alternatives" IMO; mine gets shot more than my 6920 FWIW

cons:
-QC issues on a few rifles
-Furniture feels a tad cheap for the price (not terrible, just not great)
-A tad expensive (not really more so than better piston AR's though)
-OEM mags are crap; use PMAGS or USGI
-The rear BUIS is a little cheesy as was the red dot that came with it (both were serviceable but have been replaced)

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
basically it has been covered. Mine is a good rifle accurate, fun to shoot good trigger., but heavy. For its weight you would think it is 7.62. If I had it to do again I would still buy one.

Evan

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I have it narrowed down between the Sig and the Ruger....Decions...decisions!!
I'm biased, but get the Sig IMO. The Ruger is a nice product that comes in good package, but at the end of the day it's a middle of the road piston AR that you could pay a good bit less for probably. Unfortunately they have both had a few QC issues, but not to a degree that you should avoid either IMO.

I say 556 + normal AR. :thumb:

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just traded mine in for something else. Unless you have big hands, you will find the controls (i.e.- mag release, safety) are not easily reachable. You will have to move your hand away from its normal firing position. If you have the option, get one in your hands and see if it fits.
The SiG is a very fine weapon though, I would choose it over the Ruger any day.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a few and just don't care for them.
I much prefer my XCR or just an AR!! The trigger was the one thing I did not like on the Sig's The ambi safety got in my was as well and the one that John Farnam was running a year ago he had to cut part of the safety off to make it work for him. I do like that they are folders but for the $ Id buy a XCR every time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom