Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .338 Lapua

Default .338 Lapua

Anyone own or have used one of these new .338 rifles? Are they worth the ridiculous price or is it just another gimmick?
    Check out my writings at www.associatedcontent.com/thewanderer or my drarwings at meanderingbeing.deviantart.com

Default Re: .338 Lapua

Check out the .338RUM (Remington ultra mag). Compare the ballistics and the prices of the rifles.
    Feedback Link

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

One Big Ass Mistake America
    Did you ever notice that when you add "The" and "IRS" you get "Theirs"?

Just get a .416 barrett. Honestly, unless your hunting 2 legged predators from 1200 yards or so then I don't think the lapua is necessary. Now I've never been one to buy out of necessity, so get you one.

What do you want to shoot with it?
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

My feedback

What is your intended purpose for the rifle, paper hunting, zombies?
    " A strong mind will carry a weak body further than a strong body will carry a weak mind."

+1 on Shadowrider's response.

Not a fun gun... Bone jarring
    "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better"

Stay safe and practice perfect...
    Proudly Sponsored by J&K Bullet Casters
    Member of TDSA Tulsa Shooting Team
    Honorary FGST Member

www.tdsatulsa.com
    www.jkbullets.com

How heavy Lance? Any gun can be hospitable with enough brake and enough mass!! I bet if that 338 weighed enough that two people had to carry it it wouldn't be so bad.

For the difference take a look at either the 338 RUM or if you want something a little different take a look at a 338 Edge. As far as differences you'll be looking at maybe 100-150fps in velocity, the real difference is in brass! Lapua brass is good and a 100ct will maybe leave you enough for a trip to McDonalds when you give the guy 2 $100 bills, the RUM and Edge both use the not so great Remington brass but you'll get change back from a $100 bill. The RUM and Edge use a normal magnum boltface so you could find a donor rifle in 300WM or 7RM but the mag boxes will be a touch short but they make extended mag boxes to cure that problem.

Don't get me wrong the 338 Lapua is cool but there are other choices that match or better the Lapua. Now I don't know your intended target or what you are looking for this rifle to do so I can't give you any other ideas but then you didn't ask :-) so to answer your question the Lapua is cool, and good break and recoil is not an issue, if you need any other information I would take a trip over to Long Range Hunting those guys are full of information about long range hunting and the 338's are talked about quite a lot. Later,

Kirk

Yeah, brass is 2.50 each for Lapua .338LM brass. .338 bullets for hand loading are about 75 cents each. 90 grains of powder and a large rifle magnum primer. If you get 10 loads on each piece of brass you're looking at $1.50+ per round of hand loaded ammo. Factory .338LM ammo is 5-$6 per trigger pull.

But, you get more cool points for shooting the LM. If you've got the $$ it is a cool round.

.338LM, .30-06, .223, .357Mag

I guess this is what $500 looks like.
    My Feedback Thread
    Class 3 Designs, LLC (07 FFL/02 SOT)
    WTS: Barrel Threading Services
    WTS: Silencers
    PMs disabled, email me instead so I don't have to delete our messages every 2 weeks. info@class3REMOVEdesigns.com. Be sure to take out the REMOVE.

I've got a .338 Edge. I prefer Nosler brass over the Rem. brass. The recoil on the bigger guns isn't so bad; but the blast off the muzzle brake is seriously loud. By the way, I'd take the .408 Chey-tac over the .416 Barrett, or maybe a .375 CT.
    Lapua brass is very nice quality for the .338 Lapua...$$$. You pay either way.
    If you have to ask whether it's worth the expense, you might not want one anyway. A proper scope for a big rifle is not going to be cheap either.
    Last edited by Thorgrim; 12-31-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Crush your enemies...

My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
    I've got a .338 Edge. I prefer Nosler brass over the Rem. brass. The recoil on the bigger guns isn't so bad; but the blast off the muzzle brake is seriously loud. By the way, I'd take the .408 Chey-tac over the .416 Barrett, or maybe a .375 CT.
    Lapua brass is very nice quality for the .338 Lapua...$$$. You pay either way.
    If you have to ask whether it's worth the expense, you might not want one anyway. A proper scope for a big rifle is not going to be cheap either.
    The Chey-tac guns/ammo are seriously cool. I have a .300 win mag that's my "long range" gun, I've never needed more, but I'd love to shoot one of these +1000 yard guns.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

My feedback

made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in the great town of albion okla

i shot one back in the early fall. i was at zebb sighting in my 2506 and a guy came up with one .he was resighting at a hundred yards after a competition the weekend before.it was a full out custom job.he went to telling me how he had in it i almost had a stroke.he sais it was costing him about $4.00 a shot and he reloaded after i was done he asked if i would spot for him so i stayed and helped after he had it sighted in he ask if i wanted to shot it of course i jump at it i figured it would kick my head off but it didn't it was about like shooting my 700 30-06 it was loaded with all kinds of recoil reducers and weighed a ton but if i could afford to i would like to have one like his it was awsume

I shot a guys .338RUM late last summer. I wish we had been on a longer range because 200 yards just isn't enough! It was fun anyway and quite impressive in a sinus clearing sort of way. Lance's post is dead on correct.
    Feedback Link

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

One Big Ass Mistake America
    Did you ever notice that when you add "The" and "IRS" you get "Theirs"?

Oh, I just shoot for recreation. Most of the time I either shoot milk jugs filled with water (the fun way to recycle!) or paper targets when sighting or shooting for accuracy. I've been seriously thinking about getting into competition shooting for a while, though. I can be a decent shot (at times).

By the way, thanks for the info folks. I gotta say that this forum is pretty sweet.

As far as recoil goes, I think I can handle 'bout anything. First time I shot a Mauser 30-06 was no prob... as far as recoil goes anyway. The scope was a royal pain in the arse. I seriously wanted to use it as a target instead. And the Mosin Nagant was just too much fun! Now, I can't say I've ever shot anything bigger than 30-06, so I might just be full of myself here.
    Check out my writings at www.associatedcontent.com/thewanderer or my drarwings at meanderingbeing.deviantart.com

I have a friend the the Barrett 338LM and I've shot it with great joy. That is one kick butt round. The recoil wasn't bad at all, however the gun did have one hell of a muzzle break on it. If you were standing to the side of the gun, heat was something to fear...

It is a real power house. I'd love to shoot it more if it didn't cost $6.50 per trigger pull... He will be reloading and that will make us both happier.

Nice gun!