.338 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a .338 Edge. I prefer Nosler brass over the Rem. brass. The recoil on the bigger guns isn't so bad; but the blast off the muzzle brake is seriously loud. By the way, I'd take the .408 Chey-tac over the .416 Barrett, or maybe a .375 CT.
Lapua brass is very nice quality for the .338 Lapua...$$$. You pay either way.
If you have to ask whether it's worth the expense, you might not want one anyway. A proper scope for a big rifle is not going to be cheap either.

The Chey-tac guns/ammo are seriously cool. I have a .300 win mag that's my "long range" gun, I've never needed more, but I'd love to shoot one of these +1000 yard guns.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
i shot one back in the early fall. i was at zebb sighting in my 2506 and a guy came up with one .he was resighting at a hundred yards after a competition the weekend before.it was a full out custom job.he went to telling me how he had in it i almost had a stroke.he sais it was costing him about $4.00 a shot and he reloaded after i was done he asked if i would spot for him so i stayed and helped after he had it sighted in he ask if i wanted to shot it of course i jump at it i figured it would kick my head off but it didn't it was about like shooting my 700 30-06 it was loaded with all kinds of recoil reducers and weighed a ton but if i could afford to i would like to have one like his it was awsume

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a guys .338RUM late last summer. I wish we had been on a longer range because 200 yards just isn't enough! It was fun anyway and quite impressive in a sinus clearing sort of way. Lance's post is dead on correct.

MeanderingBeing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I just shoot for recreation. Most of the time I either shoot milk jugs filled with water (the fun way to recycle!) or paper targets when sighting or shooting for accuracy. I've been seriously thinking about getting into competition shooting for a while, though. I can be a decent shot (at times).

By the way, thanks for the info folks. I gotta say that this forum is pretty sweet.

As far as recoil goes, I think I can handle 'bout anything. First time I shot a Mauser 30-06 was no prob... as far as recoil goes anyway. The scope was a royal pain in the arse. I seriously wanted to use it as a target instead. And the Mosin Nagant was just too much fun! Now, I can't say I've ever shot anything bigger than 30-06, so I might just be full of myself here. :P

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend the the Barrett 338LM and I've shot it with great joy. That is one kick butt round. The recoil wasn't bad at all, however the gun did have one hell of a muzzle break on it. If you were standing to the side of the gun, heat was something to fear...

It is a real power house. I'd love to shoot it more if it didn't cost $6.50 per trigger pull... He will be reloading and that will make us both happier.

Nice gun!

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I just shoot for recreation. Most of the time I either shoot milk jugs filled with water (the fun way to recycle!) or paper targets when sighting or shooting for accuracy. I've been seriously thinking about getting into competition shooting for a while, though. I can be a decent shot (at times).

By the way, thanks for the info folks. I gotta say that this forum is pretty sweet.

As far as recoil goes, I think I can handle 'bout anything. First time I shot a Mauser 30-06 was no prob... as far as recoil goes anyway. The scope was a royal pain in the arse. I seriously wanted to use it as a target instead. And the Mosin Nagant was just too much fun! Now, I can't say I've ever shot anything bigger than 30-06, so I might just be full of myself here. :P

If your into punching paper, why not a .308? They're accurate enough for the majority of people who sling lead at people and paper.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thor covered it well.

The .338Lap is a good round, but most won't have any need for it.

Worked with the .338-378WeatherbyMag during the mid-nineties, and for distance it's very hard to beat unless you make the jump to a .375CT, .408CT, or a 50.

For any of the big .338s, the availability of good brass and bullets is better than ever before (I like Norma and Lapua brass).

Not for the recoil sensitive unless you have a muzzle brake.

With a good brake they're not bad to shoot (just don't stand alongside).

If you can afford to buy, build, and shoot one, why not?

If you want more velocity, look at the .338RUM and the .340WM.

For a little more, consider the .338-378WM.

MeanderingBeing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your into punching paper, why not a .308? They're accurate enough for the majority of people who sling lead at people and paper.

Oh, personally I love the 7.62x54mm. I just like having the experience in a variety in firearms and cartridges, should I ever need it. Plus, as much as I love the Mosin Nagant, you gotta try something else once in a while! :)

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, personally I love the 7.62x54mm. I just like having the experience in a variety in firearms and cartridges, should I ever need it. Plus, as much as I love the Mosin Nagant, you gotta try something else once in a while! :)

No problem with that. I've tossed around the idea of a long range rifle for years. I've looked at some of the .50 bmg's ar-15 uppers and the M1A national match. The .338 Lapua is still so exotic that ammunition would shut me down. As much as I want to reload, I don't have time to learn at this point in my life.

What guns have you been looking at?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem with that. I've tossed around the idea of a long range rifle for years. I've looked at some of the .50 bmg's ar-15 uppers and the M1A national match. The .338 Lapua is still so exotic that ammunition would shut me down. As much as I want to reload, I don't have time to learn at this point in my life.

What guns have you been looking at?

You really don't have to "learn" reloading. It is a very simple process. You just have to use a little common sense and go off of the abundant existing data. As long as you keep your head out of your behind while doing it, it is so easy a cave man can do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom