Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show us your european mount deer antlers

The guy that did mine called me today to say they are done. He only does the antlers, not the woodwork.
    I'd like to see what everyone else has done, and maybe make a nice mount of mine.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Default Re: Show us your european mount deer antlers

Mine is on top I shot 2 years ago. My brothers is on bottom he shot this year and he is getting it shoulder mounted. Mine scored 142 and his was 176. Mine looks just as big as his in the pic but it's just because of the angle.

I have mine hanging with a piece of twisted wire. Taxidermist chocked up a piece of wire in a drill and twisted it. He then tied it on the back sides of the skull behind the eye sockets. It hangs and looks nice. Looks more rustic without woodwork IMHO. Just a cell phone pic, didn't want to get the camera out of the truck tonight.

My Feedback
    Oklahomabassin Feedback

Ridgehunter--I'm always so grateful I never talk. Vaginas are like wild animals. You have to be very quiet or you scare them away. Even after you gain one's trust you should still be *amazed* it comes close enough to let you touch it. Especially most of us here. I've seen a lot of ya'll. Don't call up all your friends and yell "IT'S EATING FROM MY HAND RIGHT NOW."

I have done two with the boiling method and they have come out pretty decent. I am currently raising a colony of Dermestid beetles to do my skull mounts with. It will be a few months before my colony is big enough to do deer sized skulls but I have some heads in the freezer waiting on them. I just hang mine with a peice of bailing wire

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

I made this out of some old wood off a turn of the century barn, and and old wooden fence post I cut at an angle.

I think it turned out pretty cool. I like it better than the store bought plaques. I'm making another for my 09 buck.

Using an angle will show more antler height and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeHunter View Post
    I made this out of some old wood off a turn of the century barn, and and old wooden fence post I cut at an angle.

I think it turned out pretty cool. I like it better than the store bought plaques. I'm making another for my 09 buck.

Using an angle will show more antler height and depth.
    I'm not biased

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    No love for my redneck plaque Dennis?

Sorry, I was in the process of typing a reply, but gravity overcame my eyelids, and it was off to snooze time for the night.Guess I hit a key or two before waking up and going to bed.
    Actually I like your Idea of using old barn wood. There is an old barn on our place, that is just one windstorm from hitting the ground. I'm going over there today, so I'll look around and see if there is anything similar.
    I'm not biased

That looks sweet ridge.., I make plaques for turkey fans out of that type of wood also.. If you cant find an old barn, old privacy fence wood works good..

btw, thats a dandy 8 point, he's got some killer g-2's!!
    nice buck!!

Will post pice of the finished skull in the am. He did a really good job IMHO. Didn't make it to the farm for the barn wood today, but will go tomorrow for sure.
    I'm not biased

i use a small nail and 20lbs fishing line so you can not see anything, looks good i think, you cant tell how they are staying up there. i have done my own mounts except the shoulder. top far left rack; 10pt found this season (09') while walking an area i'm gonna leave it dirty gives it character, middle shoulder mount my first buck on my first year out (08') 12pt, far right was this years rifle (09') 10pt, and the bottom is my pride and joy so far being my biggest buck with bow this year (09') 12pt. the wife is kinda city and is not a big fan of the skulls.....but i don't all the candles in our house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mounts1.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	12390  
    "In the early 70's a predator was pushed south for the crimes it committed. These predators known as coyotes have eluded many hunters. There is a group of men who escape into the open plains and thick timber to hunt these coyotes. Today, these men survive as hunters of coyote hides. if you have a coyote problem, if no one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the C-Team."

C-Team Members:
    T.Coker- caller, shooter
    J. Balderson- caller, shooter
    J. Brown- shooter

Quote Originally Posted by nvrsatisfied View Post
    i use a small nail and 20lbs fishing line so you can not see anything, looks good i think, you cant tell how they are staying up there. i have done my own mounts except the shoulder. top far left rack; 10pt found this season (09') while walking an area i'm gonna leave it dirty gives it character, middle shoulder mount my first buck on my first year out (08') 12pt, far right was this years rifle (09') 10pt, and the bottom is my pride and joy so far being my biggest buck with bow this year (09') 12pt. the wife is kinda city and is not a big fan of the skulls.....but i don't all the candles in our house.
    Thats a real nice display. I like it!
    I'm not biased

Finally got time to take a pic. Not my biggest, but it has lots of mass and is the only one that is so tall. The pics don't do it justice, but oh-well.

Gunner always has to be nosey

I'm not biased

Nice bucks folks.
    2 points for the "my wife don't like the skull mounts, but I don't like the candles either." LOL
    My Feedback
    Oklahomabassin Feedback

Ridgehunter--I'm always so grateful I never talk. Vaginas are like wild animals. You have to be very quiet or you scare them away. Even after you gain one's trust you should still be *amazed* it comes close enough to let you touch it. Especially most of us here. I've seen a lot of ya'll. Don't call up all your friends and yell "IT'S EATING FROM MY HAND RIGHT NOW."

The guy that did mine said that some folks use the small hole in the back of the skull as a place to mount. They use a bolt with the hex head of it in the brain cavity, and fill it with epoxy. The threaded portion of the bolt goes through the mounting board with a nut on the back to keep it in place. He said they inlet the back of the board to make it lay flat on the wall. I'm going to try that as soon as the wood I'm looking for shows up.
    I'm not biased