Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Thread: Spearfishing

Default Re: Spearfishing

Broken Bow but Tenkiller is closer to you
    Okiemountaineer

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    we have been numbed to accepting the drivel from the government as truth

We are a bunch of pu$$y's. Yep I said it.
    Where is this country's morals headed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    As for the damage done to the credibility of the U.S. government, he didn't cause that. The people who crapped on the Constitution and committed these foul acts did.
    JCW355 feedback

Broken Bow but Tenkiller is closer to you
    Okiemountaineer

we have been numbed to accepting the drivel from the government as truth

We are a bunch of pu$$y's. Yep I said it.
    Where is this country's morals headed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    As for the damage done to the credibility of the U.S. government, he didn't cause that. The people who crapped on the Constitution and committed these foul acts did.
    JCW355 feedback

Default Spearfishing

Anyone here spearfish? I've got a speargun and snorkel gear and I've been meaning to try it out for the last few years. I've had the speargun about five years and have never used it. I was thinking Tenkiller would the best bet close to Tulsa. What other lakes have good water clarity?

ETA- Never mind, the regs. say it's only legal with SCUBA gear.
    Last edited by larkinmusic; 02-17-2010 at 02:18 PM.

i Have done it in clear farm ponds. Lots of fun

Never have but does sound like fun.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I grew up in FL and miss spearfishing BAD. What species are legal to be taken by spear, and does anyone have any links to laws/regs?

"Morons by the millions think if we just play nice, every one else will too, despite the massive, overwhelming, daily, incontestable evidence to the contrary." -WAC

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I grew up in FL and miss spearfishing BAD. What species are legal to be taken by spear, and does anyone have any links to laws/regs?
    In OK, you can take rough fish and catfish with a speargun. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs.htm

I've tried it here a few times but haven't had much luck.

As far as freshwater spearing goes I would rather to go Arkansas where it's legal to spear game fish in most lakes and the vis is ussually much better than anything you will find in OK.

Last year I went to the Texas Gulf Coast to spear in the oil rigs and had a blast. We're planning another trip for this year.

I notice the regs say:
    Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue and channel catfish.
    I assume then that spearfishing while Snorkeling would not be legal then?
    I did a lot of that on trips to the Florida Keys and had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper John View Post
    I notice the regs say:
    Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue and channel catfish.
    I assume then that spearfishing while Snorkeling would not be legal then?
    I did a lot of that on trips to the Florida Keys and had a blast.

That's the way I read it. Doesn't make much sense, I don't why they would exclude free diving.

Quote Originally Posted by larkinmusic View Post
    That's the way I read it. Doesn't make much sense, I don't why they would exclude free diving.
    I would get in the ODW website, and contact the game warden in the county you want to spearfish in, and get his read on it. I'll bet its OK.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I will send the question through the main OK Dept of Wildlife first and see what they say. I will post on the thread what the response is if I get a clear cut answer one way or the other.

Done. Question emailed.

I finally got an answer. The reply did not come from anyone specific and it was not signed. Just from, info <info@odwc.state.ok.us>.

QUESTION SENT

Subject: Spearfishing regulation question

I notice the regulations say:
    Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue
    and channel catfish.

I used to spearfish in Florida often, but while freediving with Snorkeling gear. (Fins,Mask,Snorkel), no tank. Would spearfishing while Snorkeling/Freediving be legal in Oklahoma?

ANSWER RECEIVED

Yes, it is legal to spearfish while using snorkeling/free-diving gear.

I honestly doubt most know the difference between SCUBA and free diving. The regs specificly say SCUBA. So you're probably going to be at the mercy of the game warden's decision/knowledge.

Yep, I would have preferred the reply had been from someone named in law enforcement rather than a one line reponse from the wildlifedepartment general email. But it is not like it really matters. I asked more for trivia. Though I do have a pneumatic speargun from back in the day, who knows where I have it stored and who knows if it even works still.