IWB J-Frame holster review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been wearing a new IWB holster for a J-Frame for a couple weeks now trying to get a true evaluation for am review. I think I am ready to offer my opinion for what its worth (probably not much) :)

Background: I bought this holster on eBay for $39.95 including shipping from Sam Hanks Leather. He is just starting to make holsters but has made leather goods for some time (according to his profile)

Initial impression: Very nice looking holster with fairly detailed boning. Similar in design to most IWB holsters by other makers such as UBG Canute, Milt Sparks Watch Six etc. Stitching is good quality and is nice and tight. Snaps are NOT “pull-the-dot”. Appears to be about a 10-15 deg cant.

Leather quality: According to Sam Hanks the leather is 5-6 ounce Wickett and Craig vegetable tanned leather. It is not the thick leather that you seen in some holsters like El Paso etc. but it is quality leather. The holster and belt loops are rather rigid as most holsters of this weight leather are (and I believe should be) It is not a soft supple leather.

Firearm fit. The holster came in a flat mailer so it was a little mashed but the boning wasn’t harmed and the gun slid right in and with a little force the holster opened back up and the fit was excellent and firearm was secure. Note. This is one reason that manufacturers don’t recommend wearing a leather IWB holster without a firearm for an extended period of time unless it has a reinforced mouth band. I think the leather covering the front of the trigger guard could extend a little higher up to cover the entire trigger guard instead of just half of it. The trigger is covered but just barely and I would feel better if it extended just a tad higher. I told the maker about this and he is considering a modification to the template.

Carry Impressions: (the important stuff) The gun rides low in the waistband (as pictured) with the cylinder about even with the belt. However a full grip can easily be obtained for a solid presentation. Since a J-Frame is light anyway the spread style of this holster makes the weight of the gun completely un-noticeable. I carry a steel frame gun and it distributes the weight very nicely. The holster does not have a reinforced mouth band which I prefer because of thickness (or thinness) However, it is VERY difficult to re-holster. I don’t worry about re-holstering because if you draw your weapon you are probably going to use it and what happens after that will be more important than re-holstering. I think the design of a revolver doesn’t lend well to IWB re-holstering anyway because of the wide, square cylinder. If re-holstering is a big issue (training etc) then you might have trouble with this holster. To me it’s not too big of a deal. I will work with different methods and may come up with something that aids in re-holstering.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P2080002.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P2080006.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P2080007.jpg

PROS:
Cheap
Good looking
Rides Low in the belt
Comfortable

CONS:
No “pull-the-dot” snaps
Very difficult to re-holster

OVERALL RATING: 4 hollowpoints

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent presentation. You should do more of those. Who knows. You might have a future , writing for one of the publications. Most articles are not as well organized as your review.

Latest posts

Top Bottom