A Poll - Why Do You Hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why Do You Hunt? - Public Vote / Multiple Choice

• Total voters

jblay

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a test of polls. However, I always wonder this when I read forums. I believe the why in taking a weapon to the woods explains a great many things about the attitude of a post.

Thanks,
John

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my passion. I have grown up hunting and fishing and will die doing so. I could care less about hearing a boom. I prefer archery. I like to be alone in the woods but I also really enjoy sharing time in the field with my wife and friends.

jblay

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my passion. I have grown up hunting and fishing and will die doing so. I could care less about hearing a boom. I prefer archery. I like to be alone in the woods but I also really enjoy sharing time in the field with my wife and friends.

Nice - I have to admit a guilty pleasure of shooting a firearm. I grew up deep in the woods. I have also to admit, many times I have gone "hunting" and left the weapon at home or in the car. Still doesn't mean I don't like to plink. Sometimes there is nothing more pleasurable than repeatedly hitting a coke can with a .22. Pull the trigger and watch it go boom.

At the end of the day, If I pick up antlers, arrow-heads and some off growth of a plant then I am happiy. If I got a rogue shot at something (I too enjoy the bow) - Then more the better.

Thanks,
John

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
therapy,i do the most efficient problem solving and general thinking while in the woods. its me and nature. i can iron out a tough week or just relax and contemplate.

jwdizney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is a certain peace in watching a dawn break in the woods, listening for the footsteps of an approaching prey, or the distant rumble of a longbeard's gobble. no phones, no whiners, no stress.. I hunt for a variety of reasons. i love those moments of tranquility, and I only kill what I intend to eat. it is that ingrained "hunter/gatherer" instinct, coupled with a passion for the outdoors. Dont' get me wrong, I enjoy the shooting sports very much, but I think i'd also enjoy hunting even if our only weapon technology was sharp sticks and rocks... it is pretty nice, though, to have big caliber guns w/ high dollar optics...:wink2:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it is easier to tell people "I'm going deer hunting." than to say "I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night, drive 70 miles, walk into the woods, hike up a ridge, climb 20 feet up a tree and sit there for hours.":)

Hunting is a a good way to stay grounded, for me at least. A reminder that meat is not an isle at the grocery store, and we are not the title on our tax returns.

I enjoy being alone, and hunt by myself often. I love everything about it, from smelling the scent of rotting leaves as I lock the gate behind me an hour before the sun comes up on a weekday, and the anticipation that comes with knowing I have the entire place to myself that day.

I hunt for deer camp. 24-30 nights in my tent every season, at the same camp I grew up hanging around, with the same guys. Staring at the fire after a long day, completely exhausted and fighting to keep your eyes open at 7 in the evening as deer chili simmers on the Coleman stove.

I love everything about it. I would be a different person if not for deer hunting. There is not a day that goes by my thoughts don't drift to a white oak tree on a ridge somewhere. I hunt because I am a hunter.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i love going to the woods with my brother and friends and just getting away. but i also love to shoot and love to eat. so i guess i have multiple reasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom