Moving from Oklahoma with a CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a few threads about people moving out of state and it made me wonder...

If you move out of state, does your CCW permit become invalid the day the moving truck drives off, or is it valid till you officially make yourself a citizen of a new state, and get your new state drivers license.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my case, the lady at the SDA office flipped out when I called to change the address from Oklahoma to Kansas (thinking it would be good for visits back to OK). I really thought she was going to send the OK highway patrol into KS to personally take the card from my hand.

Then they calmed down and went into court to declare me no longer an OK resident and cancel the CCW. Getting the actual card returned was a ordeal itself. I had to mail it return receipt 3 times before anyone there would actually sign for receiving it (and I wasn't willing to mail it any other way). Somewhere in the 1997 court records is the case of the State of Oklahoma vs. 1911user.

When I moved back to OK, I went Utah non-resident instead.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moved to Kansas on the job. Called OSBI and they said mail it in. Did so certified. When I moved back I filled out a form to renew and was given it back since the permit's time had not expired. It was a simple process but should take place upon your change of residence. If you vacate the address on your permit you have changed your residence.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my case, the lady at the SDA office flipped out when I called to change the address from Oklahoma to Kansas (thinking it would be good for visits back to OK). I really thought she was going to send the OK highway patrol into KS to personally take the card from my hand.

Then they calmed down and went into court to declare me no longer an OK resident and cancel the CCW. Getting the actual card returned was a ordeal itself. I had to mail it return receipt 3 times before anyone there would actually sign for receiving it (and I wasn't willing to mail it any other way). Somewhere in the 1997 court records is the case of the State of Oklahoma vs. 1911user.

When I moved back to OK, I went Utah non-resident instead.

Same here. Didn't like the idea of jumping through all the hoops to end up moving out of state and losing all of it. So I went non-resident Utah. There are a couple of states that don't recognize non-resident, so I just avoid them. :D

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on getting a non-res. I got one when I lived in California, anticipating that my CA permit would lapse when I became an OK resident and it would take a long time to get a res permit here. Then I got an OK permit after I moved here. YOu can get a non-res from Utah or FLA while you still live in OK without having to go there to take a class. Some states [TX and AZ and NEV come to mind] will issue you a non-res, but you have to go there to take the class. Then you just do a change of address after you move. I'd do that if I were planning to move to a state with rules like that.

jej

Latest posts

Top Bottom