Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Default Colt Commando Spec.

I just picked up a Colt Commando Spec. .38 in a recent trade. From what I can tell, it is a parkerized version of the Detective Special made in the mid 80s. I can't find much info on the web. Any idea of the value? Any info is appreciated.

Default Re: Colt Commando Spec.

Colt decided to re-use the Commando moniker (previously used for WWII revolver) for their budget priced version of the Detective Special. The Commando isn't as nicely fitted as a DS, even though the base parts are the same. It was only made '84-86. The matte parkerizing wears very quickly with handling or holster carry.
    Tulsa-Area Oklahoma Conceal Carry Instructor. 15 years experience. Quality, fun, informative classes. Free loaner guns available. Discount for Oklahoma Shooters Members. PM for info.

I think that's what I may have had, then foolishly sold. If so, it's a good snubby 38 revolver for concealed carry. The Colt trigger rubbed a blister on the bottom of my trigger finger during dry-fire, but it was still a good piece.

Hey, you young guys, don't sell a gun unless you really hate it. I can think of a half dozen revolvers and rifles I wish I'd never sold in the past. They're gone now and all sell for much more than I sold them for. Try to hang onto the good pieces if at all possible.

Would it be wise to refinish the parkerizing or to leave as is?

Leave as is, unless this is going to be a gun your not going to sell, and your planning on carrying.
    It is true that 1911ís will give you GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome).

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

The CONSTITUTION is worth the same now as it was 200 years ago. The price was courage, bravery, boldness, and yes sacrifice and even death...BUT it was and IS STILL WORTH IT!

Anti-Lock Evangelist