Holster review – IWB Lobo Gunleather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Background: I was introduced to Ray Cory of Lobo Gunleather on the S&W Forum as he was one of the makers that catered to those needing custom revolver leather. I have purchased one of his J-Frame pancake holsters and was very pleased so I decided to try one of his IWB holsters for my M&P9c

First Glance: The holster is very nice looking and has a deep rich brown color to it and the stitching is very tight and I don’t expect there to ever be any trouble with the stitching coming loose. The boning is not as detailed as some of the higher cost holsters but don’t think that reflects on the functionality of the holster. The holster is an offset snap style, meaning the snaps are not directly over the gun like a Summer Special, it is more like a Milt Sparks Watch Six or a UBG Canute. PS: Lobo does offer a detailed boning option for an extra $10

Holster quality: The leather on this holster if THICK! But not so that it takes up a noticeable amount of space inside your waistband. If you are a leather connoisseur and like nice thick, heavy leather that will be around when your grand kids are carrying your guns, this is the one. The cant is less than some of my other holsters and I would say it is about 10 degrees. I like the smaller can’t as it doesn’t force the back of the slide too far forward so as to print and allows you to carry closer to 3 o’clock. The loops are made of the same thick leather with a single point of attachment (screw) so they can be replaced them with another size. The snaps are NOT pull the dot brand snaps although they are of very high quality and seem to be very industrial. So far I have not had any trouble with them “popping open” unless I grab my belt and pull up on the belt only, which wouldn’t happen very often.

Firearm fit. The holster was very tight when it first came but has since loosened slightly and now the retention is just at that perfect level, where the gun doesn’t come out without a firm pull yet it will seat in its place without the gun coming out of battery. There is a distinct “seating” that you can feel when the trigger guard gets to the portion of the holster designed to hold the gun in place. Holding it upside down will not release the weapon. Even with the detailed boning, I don’t think the fit would have been any better.

Overall Impressions: The gun rides high but with a short barreled gun and the need to obtain a complete firing grip for presentation, I think the ride height is where it needs to be. If it were any lower in the waistband the presentation grips would be compromised. The gun is secure in the waistband and doesn’t try to flip over or feel unstable as long as you have a stiff belt. The holster holds the gun very tight to your side. The mouth is not reinforced but due to the construction and thickness of the leather, it stays open for re-holstering. I have carried a UBG Canute for several years and would not hesitate to place this holster in the same quality category as the UBG. The Lobo Gunleater IWB does the job it is asked to do and doesn’t complain. I expect this holster will outlast others that cost twice as much.

This is the "working man" of the holster world. ;)

PROS:
  • Inexpensive ($57)
  • Heavy leather
  • Low, or no, wait time
  • High quality stitching
  • Holds close to your side
  • Stays open for re-holstering

CONS:
  • Needs pull-the-dot snaps
  • No detailed boning

OVERALL RATING: 4.75 hollowpoints (out of five)

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_3_20lthr.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3290007.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3310004.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3310005.jpg

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one for a Kahr from Ray a couple weeks ago and have yet to wear it. I have got a bad habit started, throwing the Glock 33 in my pocket and forgetting it.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, maybe the wife is right and I have been spending to much money on holsters the last couple of months. The Lobo holster I have is not for the Kahr, it is for the officer model. The one I have ordered for the Kahr is a Dual Carry from David Bullard and it should be here in a day or two, it is in the mail. I will post pics of it when it gets here. Sorry about the picture quality of these, I don't have any idea where the camera is so I used my blackberry cam.

Attachments

• lobo.jpg
    lobo.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 567
  • lobo2.jpg
    lobo2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 446

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good lookin' rig, Burk. I'm sure glad Ray's stuff is working out for you...because I was kinda less than impressed, myself. :rolleyes2

I reckon I'm just too picky. :screwy:

Hold on there GED. You got some splainin to do. Could you be more constructive with your criticism? Seriously. What's your take on the Lobo leather? I know there are lots of fans over at the blue forum but seems like every forum has their darlings and fans can be a bit blind to the faults of their favorites. So lets cut through the BS cause I'd like some straight talk about Lobo.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hold on there GED. You got some splainin to do. Could you be more constructive with your criticism? Seriously. What's your take on the Lobo leather? I know there are lots of fans over at the blue forum but seems like every forum has their darlings and fans can be a bit blind to the faults of their favorites. So lets cut through the BS cause I'd like some straight talk about Lobo.

They are not as "fancy" as some other holsters. Just comparing a Lobo to a UBG, the UBG is more form fitting and is a higher quality looking holster. I am not saying the UBG is a better holster, but looks like a lot more work went in to it. The other custom leather holsters I own are more form fitting.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

They are not as "fancy" as some other holsters. Just comparing a Lobo to a UBG, the UBG is more form fitting and is a higher quality looking holster. I am not saying the UBG is a better holster, but looks like a lot more work went in to it. The other custom leather holsters I own are more form fitting.

THIS!

I had two experiences with Lobo. The first was with a 2 inch K frame model 10 OWB holster with the snap on/off loops option. It was just a little loose and sloppy for my taste. Hardly any retention on the revolver at all.

The other one was a regular pancake style of OWB holster for a 3 inch K frame model 65. Again, fit was kinda loose and retention was next to nothing. I think a piece of catgut or fishing line woulda had more retention than the holster.

Also, I asked him to cut the loops for a 1.75" width belt instead of the "usual" 1.5" width. It looked like he had made 1.5" slots and then carved out another 1/4 inch with a pocket knife or something. :ugh2:

Just not good enough quality for me. :disappoin

I'll spend the extra 20 bucks and buy Galco. Now THAT'S some good gunleather! :thumb:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Truthfully, I think that is exactly the issue. At least it was with me and my j-Frame holster. Do the holsters work? Hell yes. Probably just as good as any of the custom holsters do. Let's face it, all they have to do it be comfortable and securely retain your weapon. Do they do that? Hell yes!

I will admit that my pancake holster had some shortcomings. As GED mentioned the slots were carved out with a butter knife and looked kind of crude. The slots were a little too tight for my THICK a$$ belt. Did it work? Absolutely!

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_LOBOModel1pancake.jpg

I will be the first to admit I am a holster snob but I also am trying to realize there is no PERFECT holster. If it works I go on with my life and know that there are more important things, like training with the darn thing.

A bad guy is going to say "hey, is that a Versa Max II" right before you stop his threat.

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom