9mm AR owners, what mags work best for you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience the mags really don't matter. Colt, promag, spikes, uzi, whatever. Most of the issues are with the block. I do not recommend the RRA blocks either. Hahn or genuine Colt are the only way to go. The only exception to mags I make are the CProducts. I will never own any of their stuff.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Top loading will not hold the bolt open on the last round. Pro's and cons to both. The top loader will never come out unless you want it to. The bottom loader could possibly come out.

Josh has built way more guns than me, but I had problems with my Hahn bottom loader, kept coming out with the mags. Switched to a RRA and haven't had a problem since. C-Products mags and mag blocks are junk IMO. Spikes/Metal Form mags have also been problem free although pricey.

What is the difference between the bottom loading Hahn and the top loading one, besides how you insert them into the lower? btw, thanks for the above info.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Top loading will not hold the bolt open on the last round. Pro's and cons to both. The top loader will never come out unless you want it to. The bottom loader could possibly come out.

Josh has built way more guns than me, but I had problems with my Hahn bottom loader, kept coming out with the mags. Switched to a RRA and haven't had a problem since. C-Products mags and mag blocks are junk IMO. Spikes/Metal Form mags have also been problem free although pricey.

Are you just using Spike's/Metalform? I don't/can't spend $40 a mag.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried others, but bit the bullet and bought the Spikes. C-Products were total hit or miss (mostly miss) and their CS is terrible, I swore them off. However, their mags are cheap so give them a try, they might work great for you. If not I'll let you try a few mags worth of my Spikes and you can see if you see an improvement. For me it was worth the $40 per to rid myself of the headache the C's were causing. The Spikes have a metal follower if that matters.
Rusty and Dustin use C's, not sure if they attribute any problems to them. They might chime in. I know some have used modified Uzi mags for ultra cheap. I had to try several combinations of mags/mag block before I found something that was reliable for me.
I have a Spikes lower with RRA upper, including RRA barrel.

Are you just using Spike's/Metalform? I don't/can't spend $40 a mag.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine like c-products mags as well as RRA mags. The c-products mags come in 2 flavors, old & new. Mine like the old. The way to tell the difference is in the finish. The really shiny finish is the new style. I use a top loading Hahn block, with a non-ramped bolt & 9mm hammer. I had eject problems when I first built it, but got it sorted out & it runs like a champ now. My ejector arm was out of alignment and just needed to be tweaked back into place. My buddy uses a bottom loading hahn block & has no issues either. His block doesn't fall out because of a set screw. Mine is actually easier to change over because of the set screw in his, but like I said they both work great.

I tried the plastic mags from midway or brownells, can't remember, but they would not feed in my rifle.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the dedicated Hahn block. It's technicaly the top loader but it is held in place with your bolt catch pin so it won't move. Bolt hold open works also. You can get a RRA to work, I just hate their setscrew attachment. It allows for too many variables. The metal promags are very good just super hard to find. I've had good luck with the plastic ones too justsometimes you'll get one that swells a lot and you can't fully load it and be able to insert it in the magwell.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember at the time I built my 9mm that the Hahn top loader had the BHO feature, I didn't think it did. I also don't remember it being held in by the bolt catch, seems as if it was just inserted from the top into the magwell. Sounds as if they have changed that one a bit for the better, I'd definitely give it a try. The set screw on the bottom loaders is really just waiting to come loose and there is a bit of up down adjustment in them.

I prefer the dedicated Hahn block. It's technicaly the top loader but it is held in place with your bolt catch pin so it won't move. Bolt hold open works also. You can get a RRA to work, I just hate their setscrew attachment. It allows for too many variables. The metal promags are very good just super hard to find. I've had good luck with the plastic ones too justsometimes you'll get one that swells a lot and you can't fully load it and be able to insert it in the magwell.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the removable Hahn block and 16 CProducts 32 round mags. They all work just dandy. CProducts makes the 9mm mags for Colt now. Unless it is the old style Colt mags (bullet fountains...drop a loaded on on the floor plate) you're getting CProducts mags with a prancing pony on the floor plate.

Now, all of my CProducts mags took a little tweaking with a fine file and some 800 grit sand paper, but after I tuned them they all run very well. I don't think you should have to tune them, but I did and for the $$ I spent it was worth it. If you buy CProducts mags, make sure you get them with the new followers and the mag bodies that DO NOT have "XX" stamped in them under the other info. That is the older body and they do royally suck. I had 8 of each and they exchanged the XX mags for the newer body. All 16 are the non XX mags and they run great.

The tweaks were made because the lips were too tight and they interfered with the bolt. Shaved a couple thousandths off of each lip on the inside and voila, they worked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom