Deer hunting with an AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend keeps eying my AR and has asked me if they are legal to hunt with. As I am not a hunter, I am not sure about the answer but if I remember correctly, I heard that hunting deer was legal with an AR-15 but you could only have 5 rounds in the mag at a time. Is this correct? I did a search here but it seems that the word 'an' and 'AR' are too short for the search tool. Try typing "Hunting deer with an AR 15 and see what happens. Anyhow, is the 5 round rule true??

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just have him go hog hunting. You'd need a heavier bullet with your AR to be effective against deer and the accuracy of your AR with that heavier round will depend upon the twist rate of the barrel.

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you are actually allowed to have no more than 5 rounds in the gun, and you have to be shooting at least .55 gr bullets.
This is straight from the regulations:

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.

Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.

Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.

Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, silencers, laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal.

I bought a 5 round magazine exclusively for this purpose.

This has been covered pretty extensively in the Hunting and Fishing section.:Heya:

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I deer hunt with mine every year. Barnes makes a 70 gr triple shock bullet that works great on deer and hogs. you'll need a 1 in 8 twist barrel to get any accurcy out of it.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was able to .05 MOA @ 100 out of my old match barrel (>5000) rounds through it. The barrel twist was 1/7.75 twist. I sold the upper to PD up in Tulsa.

I have no idea what you are talking about.... I do not believe in the private ownership of firearms. I believe they should only be used by trained professionals such as the military and law enforcement...

Latest posts

Top Bottom