What AR Optics to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a Colt 6920 in a trade and it shoots GREAT. I was killing skeet against the berm at 100 yards with open sights.

I was looking at the Trijicon ACOG, but I don't really want to spend that much money.

I found a combo deal on an Aimpoint Comp ML-2 with mount for under half the price of an ACOG, but I don't know enough about the Aimpoint to know if it would be any good for any kind of distance. I want an optical sight to be good for at least 200 yards. I don't want to add the expense and weight of the magnifier to the package.

Any ideas?

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from money, it comes down to what you want to do with the rifle. Both the ACOG and Aimpoint are combat optics, not precision bench rest optics. With that said, I run both and love them equally for their intended uses...

The Aimpoint, and the CompM2's 4MOA dot in particular, is great for roughly 200m and in (and will suffice out a little farther as long as you know your holds). If you aren't interested in magnification, go with the Aimpoint. The ACOG rules at intermediate ranges (300-600m); 100-200m is a breeze with them. They are built like tanks and have crystal clear glass.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i really like my EoTech 512. use it often to 300yds and can place rounds on target without any issues. I haven't shot with aimpoints but have used an Acog that was on a buddies 308 AR and definately liked it but the price is a little too much for what im wanting to spend right now. Either way Aimpoints are great optics and have heard nothing but good things about them.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a good 1-4x variable magnification optic. I use a trijicon accupoint and can out shoot both the aimpoint and ACOG because I can do both!

Here is a link to a very comprehensive low power optic reference chart. Unless you plan to do some really long range (400+) go with one of these. If your even thinking about shooting the upcoming 3 gun at USSA or OKC Gun club or the action rifle match at okc gun club you want variable power.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97821

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a Colt 6920 in a trade and it shoots GREAT. I was killing skeet against the berm at 100 yards with open sights.

I was looking at the Trijicon ACOG, but I don't really want to spend that much money.

I found a combo deal on an Aimpoint Comp ML-2 with mount for under half the price of an ACOG, but I don't know enough about the Aimpoint to know if it would be any good for any kind of distance. I want an optical sight to be good for at least 200 yards. I don't want to add the expense and weight of the magnifier to the package.

Any ideas?

I can consistantly hit a 12" gong at 300 yards with my 12.5" M-16 using a 4MOA Aimpoint C3. The combo deal you are looking at would be fine.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to me, not enough. According to my wife, too much. :wink2:

In all seriousness, I would say I average about 100-150rds a week. I have been shooting this rifle (in various configurations) since 1991.

Hitting a 12" anything at 300 yards with a 4MOA dot is tough since the dot is the same size as the target. You shoudl be using that rifle to shoot the 3 gun and upcoming rifle match with us at OKC gun club. You could rock that long range stage.