Little help with this gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering making a deal on a used shotgun. I have never owned one and need some help with the deal. I am looking to get into skeet shooting - taking a beginner's class on October 2nd at OKCGC. The gun I'm looking at is a Remington 1100 Skeet model 12ga. This is a factory skeet model and is marked skeet on the reciever and barrel. It is 26" barrel, double bead sights, non removable chokes and it has a skeet vent rib.

I'm not sure what most of this means, but the gun looks nice and obviously is designed for the application i am interested in. However, I may eventually want to pheasant, dove and duck hunt and want to know if this would be good for that as well.

I don't really know what non-removable chokes mean and why you would want one. All the ads and posts here talk about the variety of chokes you can use in shotguns. Would I need to get another barrel to use a different shot pattern? If so, what would a new barrel cost? What about home defense?

Any info about this gun would be very much appreciated.

B

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screw in choke tubes would be a nice thing to have. Especially if you want it for multiple purposes. Fixed choke is probably IC if it is a "trap" gun. Not gonna be great for everything you might want to shoot. Beauty of it is you may be able to have it fitted for chokes for as little as $100 (Mechanical Accuracy in Jones) or buy a different 1100 barrel that is threaded for chokes.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... so, is there a difference between skeet and trap and clay pigeons? Sorry for the newbie questions.. I need to do more research on the lingo and the gear. Thanks!

B

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skeet choked guns are good for skeet. You would be better off getting a removable choke gun. With a fixed choke gun, you have to get a new barrel to change chokes. Used 1100 barrels run about $100. What's your price range? You picked a good model to start with in the 1100.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bob, thanks. I did a bit of reading on the diffs between trap and skeet. I'm trading a handgun for this gun plus a little money. I don't mind buying another barrel for other applications. I'm particularly interested in knowing whether I can hunt with this gun and what kind of hunting I can do with it.

Thanks

B

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pheasant and Dove with a Mod barrel. Don't know about if you can use the gun for Duck. Must use steel shot for waterfowl and that can damage old barrels.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Rem 1100 is an excellent all around shotgun. The skeet choke will do most of the jobs you expect. It is fine for doves, quail and usually acceptable for phesant and decoyed ducks. The trick is to match you selection of 12 ga. loads for the game. Use a field load for doves and quail. Move up to a heavy field or maximum load for phesants. For ducks use a larger size shot in a mazimum load.

I would draw the line for passing shots on ducks or geese. I have used an old Browning A-5 12 ga improved cylinder for more years than I like to think about just the way I described it for you with excellent success.

Good luck. Glad to have you in the game.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1. A Remington 1100 skeet gun with a 26" barrel with have a 'SKEET" choke - hence the "skeet" model. The skeet choke was designed to shoot 'skeet' and have a optimal pattern at about 22 yards. After 22 yards, the 450- 560 (or so) individual lead pellets will spread apart and you will have a lot of space between them.

#2 a 'skeet' choke is very seldom if ever used for hunting anything. the reason being is the you are greatly handicapping yourself and limiting your killing distance to approx 0-22 yards when it could be from 0-60 yards depending on the choke you use.

#3 The tigher the choke, the closer the individual 460 (approx #) lead pellets will be at a given distance --so the tighter the choke is, the greater your killing range is. Chokes range from cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder, light modified, modified, improved modified, light full, full, improved full, extra full ( there are more but you get the idea) in order of "open" to "tigher" chokes.

#4 a fixed choke gun with a "skeet" choke will work fine for skeet. It will not work WELL for hunting. Also that gun probably weighs about 8.5 to 9.5 pounds. Great for skeet because you shoot 100 shells per gauge in a competition and you need a heavy gun to absorb the recoil BUT it WILL NOT work good for hunting - TOOO heavy, wears your arms out and make it hard to mount and swing the gun as the day wears on.

# 5 - best scenairo is to buy one gun with screw in chokes. buy skeet, improved cylinder, modified, and full chokes (it make come with most of these) and you are set for skeet, dove, pheasant, duck, and about most anything you want to hunt with one gun but changing out chokes depending on the hunt.

#6. When I go hunting, dove or pheasant, i have one choke in the gun and sometimes i will carry a different screw in choke in case the birds are coming in very close or very far out I can adjust for it.

#7. screw in chokes are about 2.5 inches and made of steel.

#8. guns come in field models, skeet models, trap models.

#9 when you shoot TRAP - you do not use a IC choke. GENERALLY you use modified to full.

#10 you can go online and get a good idea of the "trap" and "skeet" games. The "clays" or "clay birds" are the orange things that are thrown in these games. There is also a third game called "Sporting Clays" sometime referred to as "Clays". So "clays" can be a game or the orange disc that is thrown.

I would definitely recommend finding a 1100 or 1187 or browning or winchester field gun with screw in chokes. it will work fine for skeet, trap, and hunting. buy the way, a pump gun is grat for hunting but will not work well for skeet as you have to shot doubles and they move pretty fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom