.284 winchester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend on another site is having his XS7 in 7mm-08 finished reamed to .284 Win. I am not familiar with this caliber. anyone out there have some experience with this round,shooting and or reloading for .284 Win.? I have heard it refered to as a 7mm mini mag. Are the ballistics that much better than the original caliber?

spyglass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't a real big success. In an effort to increase case capacity and still keep std bolt face and action length, Winchester made it a fatter round with a rebated rim. It is capable of performance on a par with the .270 & .280, but really not much of an improvement on the 7-08, which is a very efficient cartridge. You might advise yr friend that unless his rifle is a junker or cheapie, he's gonna decrease it's value and really not gain anything.....and brass (and ammo) will be much harder to come by. If he's really convinced the .284 is worth having, he'd be better off trying to find a used one somewhere. I don't think any of the mfrs chamber for it anymore.....

DANNY-L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a browning A bolt and I like it alot mainly because of the short action,knock down power on whitetail is basicly the same as my 270,280 even the my 7mag. I like the 140gr nosler bt. Reloading you need to be careful not to adjust your die to low so to crush the shoulder,it has total different angled shoulder than the normal cases. New brass is available but used is rare, as people grab it as soon as it pops up.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a 284 Win on a long action, throated the chamber so I could seat the bullets out further than the standard 2.800" mine are 3.100" and yes it will keep up with and beat most 7mm mags I have seen shot across a chrony (only 3) now if your going to keep it the same as standard 2.800" COL then don't waste your time or money! leave it the 7mm-08 you'll have just as good of luck and truth be better off in the long run. Later,

Kirk

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad and I have found that loading our own loads shoots much better than factory ammo in my .284. With the factory ammo it wouldn't group worth a damn no matter who shot it. We use Nosler with the plastic tips (I don't remember the exact weight off the top of my head), but with these bullets and less powder it is a tack driver. I will get the info from him if you would like. Personally I don't see how it could be worth the money to switch though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom