.327 Federal - Good CC/SD Round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been researching .327 Federal as a self defense/conceal carry round.

It has better stopping power than the .38 Special and the .327 revolvers carry one more round than a typical J-frame. And while not as powerful as the almighty .357 Mag, it rewards you with much less painful recoil. The velocity of the .327 round is awesome - 1,200 to more than 1,400 fps!

According to pretty reliable source, the .327 Federal Mag.’s projectiles will penetrate similar to 125- and 158-gr. hollow-point bullets from .357 Mag. loads. They are very likely going to damage more tissue because of the higher impact velocities and greater expansion factor. The 115-gr. Gold Dot .312 bullet expands to more than twice its original diameter.

The .327 caliber S&W Model 632 and Charter Arms Patriot both seem like legitimate SD/CC snubbie revolver options. A 20-round box of Federal Hyrda Shock will only set me back $19.99 compared to $22.99 for the .38 Special or .357 Mag box. I'm liking this round more and more.

The .327 even looks like it would be great fun to shoot in a single-six gun like the Freedom Arms Model 97. It might even make a decent lever-action rifle round.

Do any of you guys carry a .327 revolver? What do you like/dislike about it?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 327 really interests me since I am such a fan of 32 caliber and really enjoy shooting 32 S&W Long. Just bought a hard-to-find Marlin 94 lever in 32 H&R Mag.

Having said that, I think the 327 will go the way of the dinosaur. Most of the commercial ammo manufacturers load very little of it and aftermarket brass is only made by Starline, as far as I know.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like both of my 327 fed mag, I have a one in S&W 642 and one in Ruger SP101. Both acturate and the best part is the extra shot. I have the same Smith in 357 mag and comparing the two there is less recoil in the 327, but not much less. I have yet to set up my phone book test to compare balistics, but I do not feel like I am undergunned with the 327 and I have one more round. I have revolvers around to allow me to fight my way to auto loaders, which are only a stop gap which gets me to the real guns, that are my rifles. That is the scenario away from my house. At my home, this process is repeated, but it is getting me to my shotgun.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new Ruger single action in .327 Mag has my attention. Now just need Marlin to bring out a '94 to match it.

I told myself awhile back that if someone made a .327 in a lever I would buy one that day. I doubt they will though. Then I found out that Marlin made the 94 in .32 H&R Mag for a short time and I located one. .32s are too much fun.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I told myself awhile back that if someone made a .327 in a lever I would buy one that day. I doubt they will though. Then I found out that Marlin made the 94 in .32 H&R Mag for a short time and I located one. .32s are too much fun.

Got lucky enough to score a 94 in .41mag a number of years ago. Love it and it matches nicely with my Blackhawk. You're probably right that they'll never make one for the .327 though. I suppose one can wish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom