Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Lightbulb Rebarreling a mosin...to .44 Mag

So i have been looking at people talking about doing this on a bunch of other forums. I actually checked and the .44 mag will feed out of the Mosin magazine. i would just have to fabricate a follower. (on an off topic note, it will also feed a .410 shotgun shell) I found some barrel blanks here 44 blank . Am i off my rocker here? just throwing retarded ideas around because i cant afford a 94 marlin or an M77 in 44 mag? I am not sure. I know this would not be easy, but short of cutting the barrel threads and chambering i am sure i could do it all my self.I stayed up late last night watching the storm come in, staring at a recently acquired 91/30 barreled action. Maybe this is just lack of sleep talking...

Default Re: Rebarreling a mosin...to .44 Mag

NEF Handi Rifle in .44. It's gonna cost you at least $150 to have the barrel installed, plus $50 for the blank (can't be a good blank for that cheap).
    My Feedback Thread
    Class 3 Designs, LLC (07 FFL/02 SOT)
    WTS: Barrel Threading Services
    WTS: Silencers
    PMs disabled, email me instead so I don't have to delete our messages every 2 weeks. info@class3REMOVEdesigns.com. Be sure to take out the REMOVE.

I require some kind of repeating action. maybe i should just save up for a marlin.

Yeah save up. That's what I would do anyway.
    My Feedback Thread
    Class 3 Designs, LLC (07 FFL/02 SOT)
    WTS: Barrel Threading Services
    WTS: Silencers
    PMs disabled, email me instead so I don't have to delete our messages every 2 weeks. info@class3REMOVEdesigns.com. Be sure to take out the REMOVE.

Have you ever heard of stubbing a gun?
    The existing barrel is cut short and threaded to fit the new barrel
    The new barrel is threaded and fit inside the old barrel stub.

Yea its work but it works.
    918-261-7917

If I don't answer my phone the cancer may have won.

If you decide to do the Mosin, I can tell you how to make the safety usable by other than those with hands with the strength of a gorilla. CB

thanks CB but i already welded a loop on the back of the safety. That has to be the poorest designed safety of all time.

And that barrel stub thing... so you have to drill out the old barrel and tap it to accept the outside threads you would have to cut on the blank? That seems dangerous and unnecessary.

Fitting barrel to MN is PITA due to indexed extractor relief:
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1233622
    My Feedback
    ABEL Racing - Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    There's nothing quite so sweet as the raging impotence of a gun banner

Quote Originally Posted by kalebiscool View Post
    thanks CB but i already welded a loop on the back of the safety. That has to be the poorest designed safety of all time.

And that barrel stub thing... so you have to drill out the old barrel and tap it to accept the outside threads you would have to cut on the blank? That seems dangerous and unnecessary.
    That is the only method I have seen that tames the safety. I suspect the Soviets didn't use the safety much in combat. I had a sniper that I hunted with some, and it was a highly accurate, heavy, hard kicking pain in the ---. It would roll a coyote at 200 yards. Never shot at a deer with it.

I think you would be better off looking at a rifle already chambered in .44 mag. I know where you can buy a Ruger .44 mag carbine for a little over $500. Pm me if you want the info.

I don't know about the barrel stub deal. Sounds doable, but gunsmith fees tend to run up, and you'd still have the MN configuration. Real strong action, and okay as is if you don't want a scope. .44 is a close up round, and most folks do okay with iron sights. CB

WoW MoBoost, there must be something wrong with those people on snipers hide. They have shilen blanks and nightforce scopes on 65 dollar MN actions that are only rated to like 45k PSI. Why not spend like 50 more dollars and get a Mauser action... or a few hundred and get a Rem 700 or Savage 110? Ha and on that note i should do the same thing and buy a 77/44.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybee View Post
    Have you ever heard of stubbing a gun?
    The existing barrel is cut short and threaded to fit the new barrel
    The new barrel is threaded and fit inside the old barrel stub.

Yea its work but it works.
    You could also cut the chamber off, rethread the barrel, and rechamber it. Dunno if there's enough meat on that end of the barrel to have enough diameter.

I guess you could also cut only part of the chamber off, leaving enough of the existing chamber to recut for .44 mag.

yah that just seems like too much work.