Motorcycle Cannonball Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/
A chance to watch 1916 and earlier vintage motorcycles on their stage race across America.

They'll go from Ft. Smith, AR to Lawton on Sunday, stopping at midday in Ada. Not exactly sure on their route from Ada to Lawton, thinking it might go through McAlester, Ada, Pauls Valley, Marlow then Lawton. I might end up riding to Ada and poke along to watch a bunch of true "Iron Butts" on the road. I called the Lawton HD dealership to see if they were hosting a stage finish, but they've blown that opportunity by not participating.

Good excuse to burn a couple tanks of gas!

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. You just made my weekend. It's a rare occasion to see even one pre-'16 'motosickle' let alone forty of them. That Flying Merkel is killing me. There's also some Excelsior Henderson's in the mix. I can't possibly imagine riding one of these machines the year they were built given the road conditions or lack there of.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
Note that sick wooden wheel Militaire in the back ground.

permafrost

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They had an article in the paper about a guy in his seventies riding a 1916 Indian the whole coast to coast route. Jeez! I sold my cruiser becase it hurt my back to go to Tulsa. Now I'm just ashamed.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend and I are riding down to Ada to check them out in the morning, They are supposed to be in Ada around lunch time.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In those days it wasn't a simple twist of the wrist. Air\fuel was mixed with levers on the handlebars. Same thing with spark advance\retard. Toss that in with pretty much zero suspension and hand shifting then ride across the country. Awesome!

I've got kid stuff this weekend but otherwise I'd be chasing these guys down.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you who know custom bike builders, Shinya Kimura is in the group riding a 1915 Indian.

Edit: Just noticed Jeff Decker is in the group as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom