haha, you guys will love this...Okla. selected as test site for unmanned aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Gov. Mary Fallin says Oklahoma has been selected as the test site for a federal program to research and test small unmanned aircraft systems.

Fallin says the Department of Homeland Security's Robotic Aircraft for Public Safety (RAPS) Program will involve a $1.4 million investment in its first year. It will be operated at Oklahoma State University's test site near Lawton and take advantage of the restricted airspace around Fort Sill.

The program will research the public safety applications of unmanned aerial vehicles for first responders, including search and rescue scenarios and fire response and mapping.

Fallin says Oklahoma is building a reputation in both the aerospace and unmanned vehicle industries.

She says the aerospace industry alone is responsible for about 150,000 jobs in Oklahoma.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the paranoia will start ginning up over this but, frankly, this is really quite a good opportunity for OK high-tech and aerospace industries.

Remember domestic spy Drones don't violate the Constitution...people violate the Constitution.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i wonder how long it will be before one of the MLRS takes out a drone. lol

Depends on if the drones are low level and fly over the firing ranges...Ft. Sill isn't set up for long range (a relative term in the artillery) so the azimuth of most launchers won't be high enough to interfere with higher level stuff. Low level might get them in a bind. Ft. Sill also has a LZ on the east side of post well away from the firing ranges, so I doubt they are in much danger. We'll see though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom