Black Australorpes worst layers ever!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read that this breed was the best laying breed..Not so , and in some peoples flocks i hear the same.
Luck of the draw i suppose.

I have had these black chickens for over a year and they took a couple months off in the summer and this winter i may have got 6 eggs from them 2 stupid chickens.
They will be replaced with some sexlinks. or reds whatever these are i got from tractor supply.
If they do not start laying when the weather warms up they will be sorry.

I have one cross breed that is all white and she lays everyday.
Friend gave her to me.
Here are my young ones i got last Saturday the 22 of Feb.
They sure scratch and eat well.. hopefully they will lay well. if they aren't roosters!!!HA
chicks 001.jpg

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very strange. I have four Black Australorpes and four reds (not sure the breed they were given to me). They lay like crazy. Out of the eight birds I get 6 to 7 eggs a day occasionally 8. One of the reds is over 3 years old too so I doubt she lays much if any. It did take the Australorpes a little longer to start laying but when they did they haven't stopped.

Did you put a light in the coop over the winter? I have one on a timer that comes on about 3 am and shuts off about 7. Seems to help greatly.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes i had a light on it was over their water bucket and just enough heat to do double duty and keep the water from freezing.

I tried changing their food to that omega 3 added stuff.
I keep their food dish full of food so they only eat what they need.
When i do get an egg it is not really dark like the sexlinks lay.
It is usually a pretty big egg though.. should be they were holding it in a long time!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pnuner are your chickens free range ?
what is their diet?
What is their age?
I got mine last year about this time. and they were a couple weeks old then.

When i do get an egg from them it is thin in the skin.. like calcium deficient.
Almost leads me to believe that the bloodline i got was possibly a poor one for using their food efficiently.
Other blood lines of the same breed could do better.. just like dogs or horses or anything that grows.

My other chickens ate the same meals and always produced great and had verrrryyyyy hard shell eggs.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They free range some usually in the afternoon. They are closed up in a coop/run all night and most of the morning usually.
There feed is 16% layer pellets from Orscheln and occasionally they get some candy (scratch grains).
Three of the black ones are just a little less than a year old. One is almost two years old. I have three reds that are about a year old and one that is a little over three.

It does sound like you got a poor breed line. Where did you get them? Mine came from Orscheln. We've had good luck with their chickens.

Phil

Latest posts

Top Bottom