Rural Oklahoma: How far do you drive for groceries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive 30 miles to work so I can stop at any grocer I want on my way home and basically never have to make an extra trip for groceries if I plan well.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use to be 5 miles for anything but they put a Dollar General right across 412 from us. Still 5 miles for major shopping but now we can run get a loaf of bread if we need it without having to drive into Catoosa.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Hollis, we have a choice of overpriced United (though the beef/butcher there is awesome) or undersized Dollar General. 34 miles to WalMart (Weekly trip), 90 miles to Sams (monthly trip)

It's not too bad though. There's always food roaming around the back quarter. I don't mind eating turkey year round.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate in that it's about five miles to a gas station and about 10 to a grocery store but unless it's to grab something small I'd rather go to the city or Yukon. I used to live outside Bassett Nebraska and it was 36 miles to a gas station 40 to a grocery store and 48 miles in the other direction to a walmart (non super center) it was a real treat to go to a fast food place tastee freeze or macdonalds was 36 miles. Knew folks who lived a lot further than I did. The grocery store still had a charge system in place I was last there in 05 and it was pretty removed from the "outside" world it seemed. Good place to live though. If you needed to make a big purchase you either went to Kearney or north platte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny but true story.
We moved into town about 2 years ago. Before moving from our place out in the country it took about 16 minutes to get to work. After moving into the same town as I work it took over 20 minutes to get to work. We're back out in the country because my wife finally decided the same thing I had said from the get go. Living in town sucks.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funny but true story.
We moved into town about 2 years ago. Before moving from our place out in the country it took about 16 minutes to get to work. After moving into the same town as I work it took over 20 minutes to get to work. We're back out in the country because my wife finally decided the same thing I had said from the get go. Living in town sucks.

We experienced about the same thing. Wife just didn't believe me until I showed her.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live on the westest street in Valliant. We had a grocery store about three blocks from me. The owners built a new building on the east side of town. Now I have to drive all the way across town to get groceries. There's been more than one meal I've cooked that has taken three trips across town to get something else I'd forgotten the first two times. I'm not smart enough to plan a month's worth of grocery buying, so I usually end up going to the store every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom