2016 Rio Olympics thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, and this isn't their fault, but the media flocking to them to slobber all over them while at the same time ignoring a 6 time medalist is just slightly off putting.

The only sources I've seen claiming that the media has been ignoring her accomplishments have been right wing clickbait sites that prey on the gullible and dumb masses who feel like everyone is against their causes. I thought it was funny because when those posts came over my feeds there was also content about her accomplishment from Fox Sports, NBC Sports, USA Today, and the New York Times.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has also been a lot of criticism of NBC as a whole this year. Lots of complaints of tape delay, too much emphasis on human interest stories, etc.

Even though swimming is probably far more popular to watch on tv than shooting sports, NBC was so ill-prepared for Simone Manuel's victory that they didn't really have a good handle on things. To the point where, IIRC, NBC didn't even air her medal ceremony live (despite being the first black female to win an individual medal in swimming for the US ever).

Last edited:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's too much that goes on at once for everything to be aired live. What makes it to the broadcast channels is a delayed compilation.

Manuel was the first to medal in swimming.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only sources I've seen claiming that the media has been ignoring her accomplishments have been right wing clickbait sites that prey on the gullible and dumb masses who feel like everyone is against their causes. I thought it was funny because when those posts came over my feeds there was also content about her accomplishment from Fox Sports, NBC Sports, USA Today, and the New York Times.

Well since NBC has the rights to the coverage that's what I've been watching every night. I've yet to see 6 time CONSECUTIVE medalist (consecutive as in 6 straight olympics) Kim Rhode mentioned more than "in passing" while the muslim fencer got a full on sit down interview solely because she's a black muslim and she's won a single Bronze. But Kim Rhode doesn't fit their agenda, her accomplishments be damned. I bet the producers were needing kleenex for their eyes and some dry underwear after that sit down with the fencer, I wonder how the interviewer even kept his composure on camera. The PC isn't surprising coming from NBC, but it's still maddening.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you give up your first amendment right to free speech when your competing as an Olympian?

check behind you, you missed the point.

I never claimed anyone gave up anything. I'm pointing out that the specific olympian he mentioned had, in fact, done exactly what he was saying was causing him to puke when done by others.

Here is what he said,

It's their use of the opportunity they've been given to be political. Also, and this isn't their fault, but the media flocking to them to slobber all over them while at the same time ignoring a 6 time medalist is just slightly off putting.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well since NBC has the rights to the coverage that's what I've been watching every night. I've yet to see 6 time CONSECUTIVE medalist (consecutive as in 6 straight olympics) Kim Rhode mentioned more than "in passing" while the muslim fencer got a full on sit down interview solely because she's a black muslim and she's won a single Bronze. But Kim Rhode doesn't fit their agenda, her accomplishments be damned. I bet the producers were needing kleenex for their eyes and some dry underwear after that sit down with the fencer, I wonder how the interviewer even kept his composure on camera. The PC isn't surprising coming from NBC, but it's still maddening.

They also gave a sit down interview with the lady from west virginia who won our first gold this year (in a shooting sport, no less)

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check behind you, you missed the point.

I never claimed anyone gave up anything. I'm pointing out that the specific olympian he mentioned had, in fact, done exactly what he was saying was causing him to puke when done by others.

Here is what he said,
Yep, the irony is rich. Preaching with political statements that align with your own political thinking is encouraged, yet preaching with political statements that disagree with your own political thinking is discouraged...lmfao! They are olympic medalists, and have earned their position to say what they want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom