2016 Rio Olympics thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fencing is really exciting if you understand the sport, if you played it, or are from a country where it's really popular. Why is it that talking about a Muslim olympic-medalist is "liberal" or "politically correct"? It was a history-making medal, and the historical ones are typically the ones that make the news because it's something new to talk about. Should we not talk about the history-making events/medals, or is there something else you expect to be seeing?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. From what I can tell they did air a little of the shooting but I can't see if they aired fencing or not, but I'm thinking not.

i don't know if they aired any fencing start to finish, but i know they did show entire medal matches. The one i saw was for 'saber' with an american man competing.

they also showed a great ping pong match between a swede and a Bulgarian (i believe). Crazy skills.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fencing is really exciting if you understand the sport, if you played it, or are from a country where it's really popular. Why is it that talking about a Muslim olympic-medalist is "liberal" or "politically correct"? It was a history-making medal, and the historical ones are typically the ones that make the news because it's something new to talk about. Should we not talk about the history-making events/medals, or is there something else you expect to be seeing?

What pray tell is "history making" about a woman winning a medal? Clarification: What about it is more important than any other medal being won by a woman? Many women have won medals and many were moslem too. I fail to see how an American moslem woman is any more relevant to the news cycle than a moslem woman from another country or say a christian that's American. What makes it historical?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i don't know if they aired any fencing start to finish, but i know they did show entire medal matches. The one i saw was for 'saber' with an american man competing.

they also showed a great ping pong match between a swede and a Bulgarian (i believe). Crazy skills.

Those guys and gals are mind boggling aren't they? Played tons of ping pong during my teen years and I just can't comprehend that skill level.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, Aly Raisman just absolutely nailed it in the floor exercises. If she doesn't win gold, its rigged.

I don't necessarily understand how it works, but all the athletes aren't scored equally. It's kind of a sliding scale based on the number of skills in the performance and level of difficulty. From what my daughter told me, though Aly did kick butt in her performance, Simone's level of difficulty was much greater. (keep in mind that's the explanation given by an 11 year old, so it may not be completely accurate)

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't necessarily understand how it works, but all the athletes aren't scored equally. It's kind of a sliding scale based on the number of skills in the performance and level of difficulty. From what my daughter told me, though Aly did kick butt in her performance, Simone's level of difficulty was much greater. (keep in mind that's the explanation given by an 11 year old, so it may not be completely accurate)

this is my understanding, as well. It's more of a reductive scoring system. Your routine is given a difficulty score and that is your max (again, could be wrong about that). After that you are judged and mistakes are deducted. So if you have an easy routine and do it perfectly, you are not in a better position than someone who makes a mistake or two while doing a much more challenging routine. Are aren't rewarded for playing it safe.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one good thing about the Con-cast set up is you can watch when you want and not have to set a VCR to record an event at 4 am or watch 6 hours floor exp or diving to see 2 mintues of an event you want to watch. NBC is not making the mistick they made the first time they did the olympics chargeing a $100+for pay to view

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

this is my understanding, as well. It's more of a reductive scoring system. Your routine is given a difficulty score and that is your max (again, could be wrong about that). After that you are judged and mistakes are deducted. So if you have an easy routine and do it perfectly, you are not in a better position than someone who makes a mistake or two while doing a much more challenging routine. Are aren't rewarded for playing it safe.

That's the way it works. So it's a balancing act in itself. Play it too safe and you can't win no matter how well you do. Risk too much and have a major screw up then you lose a lot of points.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What pray tell is "history making" about a woman winning a medal? Clarification: What about it is more important than any other medal being won by a woman? Many women have won medals and many were moslem too. I fail to see how an American moslem woman is any more relevant to the news cycle than a moslem woman from another country or say a christian that's American. What makes it historical?

I'm simply amazed that a person that refers to a Muslim as "moslem" would be offended by an interview of said Muslim. Stunning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom