.22 caliber failure to fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you having problems with .22 ammo with failure to fire, failure to load, failure to eject?

It does not matter which brand I use, I am having about a 10% or more failure to fire.

I have four S&W 22a semi-auto pistols and they all have this problem. One is brand new, one has about 400 rounds through it and two have a lot of rounds through them.

If you have a .22 semi-auto that is eating anything - would you share the make and model with me.

I do know that these guns will fail fire,eject, and load if shot by a 'limp wristed individual'.

For those who own a Beretta Neos, how are they doing? Will they shoot about any brand of ammo or are they picky.

Thanks.

Sounds like them smith's need a good cleaning and relubing including tearing down the bolt. I have a friend that has a smith 22, if dirty it will not function.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Buckmark happily shoots anything except Remington Golden Bullet ammo. That stuff is well-documented as being junk, though, so I don't hold that against it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother, son, son-in-law and I all have a .22A. Mine started the FTF nonsense. After a lot of study on the gun, I realized the magazine disconnect safety device wasn't pushing far enough up to allow the hammer to reliably fall. Often it would fall far enough to dent the rim, but not fire it. I sent it to S&W, got it back about 4 months later, problem not solved and a new scratch on the bottom of the barrel.

I tried to find a way to pin the disconnect bar up, failed at that. Two nights ago I put a small bead of JB Weld on the bottom of the magazine so the disconnect bar would have more to push against. I haven't fired it yet to see if it works, but it does work in dry fire mode.

Take the grips off and you'll see how the disconnect bar works.

Here's a short video of a delayed fire with my .22A. You'll hear the hammer fall, then a brief delay, then hear the shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3jK5XL-BE

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the ammo is the Remington bulk packs that is your problem I have all kinds of problems with them (gun does not seem to matter or how clean or dirty it is) and many friends that have had the same problems with failure to feed and fire and they make the guns where they will not fire after about 200 rounds because they are so dirty shooting

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me the Rem bulk pacs don't work at all. Every problem on earth.

My cousin that shoots his 10-22 with me at matches swears by them. Go figure.

Black Dog magazines that manufacture mags for .22 rifles, don't recomend the Rem either.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try manually working your firing pins. Make sure they move freely and are free of carbon build-up. If you have a hammer block safety, make sure there is not any lint / dirt or other kind of debris down behind them that keeps them from striking the firing pin button with the full force of the hammer. Holding the hammer back, pull the trigger so that the hammer block comes up and then push it against the firing pin button. Does the block go all the way up against the frame and the firing pin extend fully?

Does your brass have good deep strikes on the failure to fire rounds, compared to your fired rounds? Are your feed ramps polished & smooth?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Browning Buckmark will fire anything flawlessly except Remington green boxed bulk packs, which are CRAP. I don't care what you try to feed them into, you're going to have problems - even single action revolvers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom