1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

.223 Load Help....69 gr Sierra HPBT Match w/ Varget Powder

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by imhntn, Jul 4, 2013.

1. imhntn

imhntn Sharpshooter Member

I loaded a few and tested them today with 25.5 gr varget and they seem pretty hot. Primers are flat. Chrono'd at 2835 fps average for 3 shots. I think I am a little hot. The group was not that great either. Close to 2" at 100 yrds. Anybody got any experience with this bullet? I am shooting this out of a DPMS 3G1 AR rifle.

2. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter Member

That is my pet load when using Varget. I'm still using Data 2200 until I run out of it. It's no longer made. I never saw any pressure problems.

3. ASP785

ASP785 Sharpshooter Member

That really isn't that hot of a load for a NATO chamber. I would be shocked if you couldn't find something that shot better than 2 moa with the 69grn SMK. It's a good bullet. Have you tried any other powders with your setup?

4. aeropb

aeropb Sharpshooter Member

I'd go down a grain and try it once more. If it still isn't satisfactory, I'd be switching powders.

5. mach1soldier

mach1soldier Sharpshooter Member

Try lower. I'm using 24.0 to 24.4 grains of varget with 69 gn sierra's and getting 3/4 to 1 inch (5 shot) groups shooting with a bipod and rear sand bag.

I hand weigh each charge and sort brass by weight but no other fancy steps. I don't turn the necks or anything like that.

I'm using a 24 inch 1-9 colt.

6. Hoov

Hoov Sharpshooter Member

I run 24.1 grains of Varget when I use it. I have switched to CFE-223 because it meters so well and actually does keep it clean. I would tell you to go down in charge since you are just punching paper. I do use those same boolits.

7. imhntn

imhntn Sharpshooter Member

Thanks guys. I am using a micrometer adjustable powder measure so went down a click and loaded 4, dropped another and loaded 4 and one more time. Heading out in a minute to see how these group. I had never heard of the CFE-223 powder. I will check into that and see if any is available.

8. okietom

okietom Sharpshooter Member

If you find any CFE 223 let us know. I have been wanting some more.

9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Moderator Staff Member Moderator Member

I'm still hanging with the .55 grain. I've killed lots of deer with it.

10. MoBoost

MoBoost Sharpshooter Member

In my experience 223 is extremely sensitive to case volume when reloading AKA the case weight.
    25.5gn Varget is what I use for my service match rifle feeding from magazine, but I use Lake City brass weight sorted 92.5gn. This is on the far light side of available brass and that's the reason I'm using it; any other brass will have much smaller internal case capacity (I've seen cases in 110gn range) and therefore the load has to be alot lighter.