.338 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really don't have to "learn" reloading. It is a very simple process. You just have to use a little common sense and go off of the abundant existing data. As long as you keep your head out of your behind while doing it, it is so easy a cave man can do it.

True. I guess it's always seemed a little complicated because all the reloaders I've known talk about working up a load that each gun loves. That sounds time consuming and a little difficult to just step right into.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working up a load is really just trying different weights of powders and seeing how they shoot. If you're good enough you can use the ladder method and find the load in under 20 rounds.

Plus, it's half the fun of reloading for a precision rifle. No better feeling than making your own rounds that destroy the best factory offerings as far as accuracy.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a 338 lap imp running 300gr smk's at 3000fps. The rifle turns a marginal hit into lethal hit with authority at long ranges. Killed 2 deer with it, a doe bedded at 515 and a feeding doe at 550 both drt.

Can't wait until the 338 berger's come out, with a projected bc of .915. Run the numbers on that at 3000fps and compare to the 408's and 50's.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... Ok, so I just read up on the Berger bullets and .338's in general, and all I have to say is wow. As much as I want one, I just don't know where I'd shoot it.

Where do y'all shoot guns that don't even come into their own till 1200 yards?

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running 102.5gr of Retumbo. I think it could take a couple more grains but I cut load development short as the rifle was put together just before rifle season. I'm not gonna sweat it until the bergers come out.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main reason I gave up on the 338 Edge project was where will I get to shoot it? heck I can't even stretch the legs on my other rifles without driving 2-3 hours. It would be great if I could find some land owner that didn't mind me setting up some plates where I could at least get out to 1K, gets a little boring shooting 200 - 300 yards. Later,

Kirk

MeanderingBeing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What guns have you been looking at?

As far as 338 Lap goes, just about anything. I am more interested in trying out the cartridge than specific guns.

As far as anything else goes... I am looking at Zastava M76 7.92x57mm, HK SL8 5.56x45mm, SIG 556 (friend had one and it was soooo fun), Old school M14 7.62x45mm, a civilian Bizon-2 9x18mm, a civilian Agram 2000 9x19mm, and if I can find one, a civilian KS-23 special carbine 4 gauge. (I've been told that civilian models of the 4 gauge DO exist, so I have been hunting.) And that pretty much sums up my entire wishlist. Though if all else fails, I'll just buy my Mosin back. Great gun for an awesome price.

Yes, I know I have exotic tastes with weapons. You should see my music collection...

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
haha exotic is fun. Normal gets boreing and very little attention.

This thread has inspired me to change my rem 700 up a little. I love the AR-30 but at the price I can harvest my action, and make a nice little tactical/target gun that I could still tote up a mountain if I ever go elk hunting.

Does anyone know of a ar-30 style stock for the Rem?

Latest posts

Top Bottom