1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

5.45x39 AR?

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by OK Bowhunter, Nov 17, 2010.

1. OK Bowhunter

OK Bowhunter Sharpshooter Member

Anyone shooting one of the 5.45x39 AR's? The way I understnd it will shoot the cheap AK74 ammo and is a cheap way to have ammo to practice. Are there any issues? Will it use regular AR15 mags? Where is the cheap ammo?

2. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter Member

I've been looking into this myself. From what I understand, the magazines will be different. The cheapest ammo, you'll have to shop for. H&H has a S&W 5.45 X 39 upper for sale back in the gunsmithing section that I've been looking at. I'm still undecided if I want an upper or just go ahead and get an AK-74 type rifle.

3. OK Bowhunter

OK Bowhunter Sharpshooter Member

I have also been thinking on a 556 piston upper and to save up for a regular AK74.

4. grwd

grwd Sharpshooter Member

the mags are crap.

want 4 good working mags for a 545 AR? Buy 16 and see which ones work.

5. jbarnett

jbarnett Sharpshooter Member

This! ^^^
    I have a 5.45 AR. I think I have 3 or 4 mags and only have one that works decent but it is cheap to shoot.

6. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter Member

I was interested in doing this at one time...but never got around to it.

Now, a quick look at Ammoman.com shows that 5.45 no longer has any significant edge on cheap .223/5.56. In fact some cheap Russian .223 is actually cheaper than some Russian 5.45.

So other than the fun factor, why shoot a 5.45 AR?

7. RYCOM405

RYCOM405 Previously Cwalkcory Member

^^^This.

8. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter Member

I have a 5.45 AR that I bought a couple years ago, when 5.45x39 was quite a bit cheaper than .223. As in, 12 cents a round shipped. It's not that way anymore, unfortunately.

As far as magazines go, I've not had any issues with the half dozen I've used; in fact, I've shot with a .223 20-round mag with no issues, though I can't recall offhand who made that mag.

9. z06man

z06man Sharpshooter Member

I have a 5.45 upper that I really like. I use C Products 5.45 mags and have yet to have a failure with them though I admit I haven't shot it a lot. These are the mags I've heard most people complain about. It's been a good system for me. I've read of people using standard AR mags, but you can't load them full, 20 rds in a 30 rd mag I think. Just remember most 5.45 ammo is slightly corrosive and you need to take a little more care of your rifle accordingly.

Also you can still get 5.45 ammo from AIM Surplus for 12.7 cents a round if you buy by the case. I can't find 5.56 for less than 19 cents. That's 50% more.

Lotsa cheap fun. I hope to get mine out this weekend and run through a few mags.

10. Honeybee

Honeybee Sharpshooter Member

Centerfire Systems has 5.45 X 39 in both FMJ and HP for $199.99 per thousand and .223 FMJ non-corrosive 55 GR for $179.50 per thousand.
    (A little more in Spam cans)