9mm Lead Bullet Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the other 9mm reloading thread, but I do have a queston about lead bullets.

How fast do you all push 9mm lead before barrel fouling occurs. Been shooting .45 lead at 800-900 with no problem but with the faster 9mm speeds avaiable was wondering what the speed limit was before problems arise.
I'm thinking 1100fps with some of the Tighgroup loads should be fine, but want to make sure.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It kinda depends on your powder, but 1100 fps is good. I would go with a slower powder. Titegroup isn't a good choice for lead. Try using Solo 1000. I just started using it with great results.

I recently switched my .40 load over to 180gr lead with 5.0 grains of Solo 1000. Pushing about 940 fps. It's amazing how clean my gun stays

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cast my own bullets and have good luck with a Lee, TL356-124-TC. I use 3.0 grains of Clays and have no leading using straight wheel weights, about 12bhn.
I've also shot a lot of commercial cast LRN with good results. Very minimal leading.

Bullet fit and chamber pressure are more important than FPS. Here's a chart I use from Lee that lists PSI not to exceed for a certain BHN. Some manuals list their load data with psi. Lyman and Lee do but I don't think Speer does.

I have no experiance with Tightgroup. My Lyman 48th shows 2.9gr starting load @ 1002fps with 26,800 CUP/not PSI. The MAX load is 3.3 @ 1082fps with 29,500CUP. If the bullet fits the barrel with .001 or .002 oversize and with about a 15 to 20bhn I'd say you'll have good luck. Also if the rifleing is shallow you'll need a harder bullet. This is a rifled barrel right? Not Polygonal.

Attachments

• leehrdnscrt.jpg
    leehrdnscrt.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,404

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Winchester WST powder for lead bullets. It's real clean, doesn't smoke much, and it shoots pretty "soft". I try to keep my loads around a 130PF.

I run J&K bullets.

125RN at about 1075
147FP at about 880 (this is my favorite by far)

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the other 9mm reloading thread, but I do have a queston about lead bullets.

How fast do you all push 9mm lead before barrel fouling occurs. Been shooting .45 lead at 800-900 with no problem but with the faster 9mm speeds avaiable was wondering what the speed limit was before problems arise.
I'm thinking 1100fps with some of the Tighgroup loads should be fine, but want to make sure.

When I shot lead bullets through my 9mm I used a 147gr cast lead bullet with W-231 for 900 fps. I did not expereince any leading. I would not shoot lead bullets of lighter weight at higher velocity in my 9mm's.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, I'd try to keep them under 1000frps to avoid leading issues. With seriously hardcast lead you can exceed 1000fps, but you have to manage the alloy used.

For 9mm used for USPSA competition, I'd be using 147gr lead loads.

I haven't quite made the jump to all lead 9mm bullets, but will likely do so soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom