Apple's new products coming out tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, downloading 4 to 8 gig at a time isn't the thing it used to be. But uploading that from remote locations is for the birds. Burning it and sending via FedEx is faster! I use it for my work guys, it's just how it's done. One day memory sticks might get cheap enough to use like optical media, but by then it'll be obsolete too!

We've switched exclusively to thumb drives for all our client deliveries. Too few have optical drives anymore and working with USB drives is a lot faster for us.

While they aren't as cheap as CD/DVDs, there are a lot of advantage to USB drives, especially if you get them back to reuse.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Systems such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc. have replaced things like DVDs and usb-drives, and life is so much simpler without them.

I agree for small jobs with a short dutation of need (or where easily synced access is helpful).

But for weddings it's just not possible yet. We are talking 14+ gigs of information, which is neither easy to move around or small to store online for the average person.

Plus the longevity of the medium isn't certain. While it's getting better, we've had established companies close somewhat suddenly, which required us to pull several terabytes of data from the cloud quickly.

I think the day is coming where it will all be cloud based but it's not there yet for us. Plus, many of our clients aren't savvy enough yet to be comfortable with only the cloud.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree for small jobs with a short dutation of need (or where easily synced access is helpful).

But for weddings it's just not possible yet. We are talking 14+ gigs of information, which is neither easy to move around or small to store online for the average person.

Plus the longevity of the medium isn't certain. While it's getting better, we've had established companies close somewhat suddenly, which required us to pull several terabytes of data from the cloud quickly.

I think the day is coming where it will all be cloud based but it's not there yet for us. Plus, many of our clients aren't savvy enough yet to be comfortable with only the cloud.
They don't have to know it's "the cloud".

14GB isn't really much data, either. If you're worried about storage costs, use S3 for things people need to access now and Glacier for things you need to archive.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Donner hit it. The image crews would have to upload as many as 30k pics from a courthouse in the boonies via cellular. Not gonna happen. It's not getting them down, but getting them uploaded. Even in a hotel with wifi that's a heavy lift. I'm using Dropbox some now but it comes from the office in the city. I've used Google docs some for sharing spead sheets for concurrent editing and such but that's a different animal.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Don't get married. Problem solved.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Donner hit it. The image crews would have to upload as many as 30k pics from a courthouse in the boonies via cellular. Not gonna happen. It's not getting them down, but getting them uploaded. Even in a hotel with wifi that's a heavy lift. I'm using Dropbox some now but it comes from the office in the city. I've used Google docs some for sharing spead sheets for concurrent editing and such but that's a different animal.
Verizon:

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160913_98036b41444a433087c1d5dae7beb3eb.jpg

Cox:

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160913_0e1eb950c8c85cda16cd2fef8e18d234.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom