1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrett 25MM sniper rifle!!!

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by Spooln-Rex, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Spooln-Rex

Spooln-Rex Sharpshooter Member

So i was watching the outdoor channel yesterday and i think it was on shooting gallery. Anyways they were talking about barrett firearms and they apparently have a new upper receiver forthe M107A1 that is chambered to fire a 25mm cannon cartridge. The round itself weighs about 4oz's and leaves the muzzle at 1400 fps. at 2000 meters it can go through 3inches of steel :ooh2:. also they added multiple hydraulic buffers to absod some of the recoil.......... They also talked about the newer 416 round they developed. its a 400gr projectile that flies at 3300fps and is effective and more accurate than the 50bmg at ranges of like 2000 meters but is more suited to soft targets i would imagine. Anyways didnt know if anyone else had seen it or heard anything about it. Thought it was interesting none the less and couldnt imagine what shooting a 25mm cartridge would be like.

2. webmogul

webmogul Marksman Member

I hadn't (still haven't figured which channel that is since moving here :). Sounds like a heck of a cannon though.

3. Spooln-Rex

Spooln-Rex Sharpshooter Member

its channel 150 on cox digital not sure about others. but yea they only showed the rifle sittin on a bench wish they would have fired it.

4. badareg

badareg Marksman Member

Channel 153 on dish. That would be a hell of a cannon!

5. jcbarlow

jcbarlow Sharpshooter Member

That would have the same amount of energy as a .223 for sure :fullauto: :scratch:

6. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter Member

50 cal is 12.7mm. So this 25mm is for arguments sake 2 times the size of a 50 cal. That's awesome, but I don't want to shoot that one. At least not from a shoulder fired weapon.

There's a vid on youtube of a kid firing a 20mm. That's plenty enough...

7. Jon3830

Jon3830 Sharpshooter Member

i think the rifle you are talking about is the barrett xm109 payload rifle it fires a 25X59mm. i could be wrong i know i would hate to be the person that shoots a 25mm auto cannon round.

8. z06man

z06man Sharpshooter Member

I don't know how you could hit anything at 2000m with a projectile going only 1400 fps at the muzzle. The bullet would be falling on the target. You'd be aiming hundreds of feet high.

9. mons meg

mons meg Sharpshooter Member

Piece that big needs its own TFT...

10. Huckelberry75

Huckelberry75 Sharpshooter Member

IN my humble opinion, it might actually make a pretty good hog gun....:D