1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by n8thegr8, Jul 26, 2011.

1. n8thegr8

n8thegr8 Sharpshooter Member

I have a Mossberg 500 which serves primarily as home defense. I'm looking at night sights and I'm thinking a bead sight should be sufficient for my purposes. Are there any real benefits to the ghost ring sights? I'm guessing the only real difference would be with slugs right?

2. MoBoost

MoBoost Sharpshooter Member

I'm going to say that home defense shotgun doesn't need any sights at all - it won't matter at 20 ft.

3. n8thegr8

n8thegr8 Sharpshooter Member

lol, true, maybe I should just mount a flashlight, spread would probably match the beam pretty well, lol. I guess my main question is what is the point of ghost rings on a shotty?

4. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter Member

I'd spend the $$$ on a mounted light before the tritium bead, and yes, the bead would probably be better for HD.

5. MoBoost

I think you had the right idea - slugs.

6. ProBusiness

ProBusiness Sharpshooter Member

the spread for 00 buck, 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch shell, (which is 9 -- .32 caliber pellets) is about 3.0" at 12 to 20 feet. so, you can miss a torso at this range with a shotgun. Not much of a spread.

7. MoBoost

You will not be able to see ANY sights at 12 feet - sights on any self defense firearm are there for practice only; WSHTF it's all muscle memory + panic. Despite the spread - I think it's very hard to miss a torso with any 18"+ firearm - we had three different shooters with no practice hitting milk jug off-the-hip with buckshot from 20 feet.

8. Sanjuro82

Sanjuro82 Sharpshooter Member

I have always preferred ghost rings on my HD shotguns. For me I'm more comfortable with them, any they give me greater flexibility. BTW I can use my ghost rings as a bead sight for quick target acquisition.

9. Chard

Chard Sharpshooter Member

I think the light is very important. As for sights, as long as there is some kind of front sight, I am OK.

[​IMG]

10. 3inSlugger

3inSlugger Sharpshooter Member

I can hit a pop can at 50 yds with a slug using my Remington 870 with just a front bead. I have been shooting less than a year. Learn to shoot with basic sights and everything else will be basic. I also have 3 #4 followed by 3 OO buck, I figure the #4 has greater spread in the dark where I cant see my bead. Hopefully just the sound of the 870 pumping will make the bad guy have a need to be in the next county.